Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spring forward



I changed nearly all my clocks last night (Saturday, March 9th, 2013) in preparation for Daylight Saving Time.
I did this so -a) my clock-radio wouldn’t fire up an hour late, -b) my DVR would record the news instead of Access-tits-and-ass, whatever, and -c) my furnace wicked up at the right time per my programmable thermostat.
I also reset the electronic clocks in my stove and microwave.
The only clocks I didn’t reset were -a) in my car, which I still need to figure out yet, and is Daylight-Savings anyway, and -b) my bedside alarm-clock, which resets itself per the satellite.
My cellphone also resets per the satellite, and this computer gets a time-signal from the National Institute of Standards.
I reset my digital wrist-watch and then my clocks per this computer time-signal.
I could get a time-signal for my DVR from my cable-TV company, but I haven’t done that yet.
My dog happened to go out about 1:55 a.m., and then came back in at 2:03. My bedside alarm had reset itself; it said 3:03.
I remember the insanity my wife had to go through every time Daylight-Savings kicked on, or went off.
We both had our own computers, hers a Windows PC, mine an Apple Macintosh.
Our choices were a reflection of employ. Hers used PC, mine used MACs.
The fact I use MAC was loudly pilloried by my all-knowing blowhard brother-in-Boston, the macho Harley-dude who noisily badmouths everything I do or say. He drives PC at work.
The fact I use MAC indicates I’m rebellious and of-the-Devil.
He accused MACs of being Tinker-Toys, that I should get with the program, and switch to PC with the ancient Windows-XP operating system, I guess what his company uses.
Even my wife had Windows-Seven, which I think is two iterations beyond XP.
I hardly feel this here MAC is a Tinker-Toy. It’s too powerful and elegant.
And its OS-X operating-system hasn’t crashed yet, and I’ve been using it well over six years.
I also feel MAC is more user-friendly than a PC. A lot of that may be unfamiliarity. My wife was doing things pertinent to a PC. You had to understand arcana to drive it.
MAC can be frustrating at times, but usually I can figure it out.
Windows I’d be lost in — but I’m a MAC-person, I retired from a MAC world.
For whatever reason, every time the time changed for Daylight-Saving, my MAC would do it, and her PC wouldn’t.
We always surmised some obtuse bit of Windows arcana was failing us — something related to “use Daylight-Savings.”
Both our computers were connected to the National Institute of Standards time-signal, yet mine would automatically switch with the time-change, and hers wouldn’t.
My wife had to always manually make her PC-time agree with my MAC.

• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. At the time she was 68 (I’m now 69). I miss her dearly.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home