Sunday, December 02, 2012

Stirrups

Yesterday (Saturday, December 1st, 2012) my friend Karin (“CAR-in;”as in “car,” not “Karen”) sewed stirrups in my long-underwear.
Karin attended Houghton College the same time as me. She became friends with my wife. She was the class behind my wife and I, which makes her Class of ’67. —My wife and I were Class of ’66.
I really appreciate this!
Unstirruped long-underwear aren’t as bad as they were in the past, but they do creep up your leg.
My wife used to sew stirrups in my long-underwear.
But now she’s gone, so Karin did it.
Karin is a native of the Bronx in New York City.
As such she’s loudly opinionated and vocal.
I appreciate that, and so did my wife.
An attraction to snide remarks, which my wife loved.
Karin is always making snide observations.
After college she moved to Rochester (NY), got married, divorced, and her ex-husband died.
She now lives alone, but owns two horses and a cat.
For whatever reason she befriended me after my wife died.
I featured her in a blog about her horse-ownership.
We also attended a horse-and-carriage competition I’d always wanted to take my wife to, but never did.
The stirrups are usually 1&1/2-inch elastic sewn into the leg-bottoms. Karin could only get 1&1/4-inch.
She would sew this yesterday, but I noted I would be unable to personally deliver the unstirruped long-underwear and the stirruped sample.
That’s because I work out at the YMCA in Canandaigua on Saturdays.
So I decided to leave everything in my garage, with my garage people-door unlocked.
When I got home from the YMCA, everything was gone. She had apparently gotten it.
I called her later to see if she was around. She was in Lima (as in “lima-bean;” not “LEEE-muh”) visiting a friend, and a trip to Lima can pass my house.
The long-underwear, with stirrups, was later returned.
“I would have sewed the stirrups outside, but they’re inside because that’s how it was on your sample, and I don’t wanna break the rules,” she declared.
Rules are made to be broken. I learned that years ago during my short employ after college with a bank.
Bank regulations were to be disregarded, especially if you were profit-motivated.
I was let go from that bank because I wasn’t a viper.

• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. Like me she was 68. I miss her dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home