Sunday, December 02, 2012

I now have all my seven calendars

They’re not really calendars — I actually only use one as a calendar.
What they are is wall-art that changes every month.
They also reflect my interests.
Four are train-calendars (I’m a railfan), two are cars, and one is propellor airplanes: WWII warbirds.
My Norfolk Southern Employees’ Photography-Contest calendar came the other day. It’s always the last I order, and the only calendar not ordered online.
In the past I snail-mailed my order; this time I telephone-ordered. (I had previously been hesitant to make telephone calls, but since my wife died I no longer can be.)
The Norfolk Southern Employees’ Photography-Contest calendar is not available until December; it’s announced in Trains magazine.
About a month earlier, I received my Audio-Visual Designs black-and-white All-Pennsy Calendar.
Usually it’s available much earlier, but it got delayed because their printer went out-of-business.
I’ve been getting the Audio-Visual Designs black-and-white All-Pennsy Calendar since the late ‘60s. Years ago it was my only calendar.
It sells out quickly, so you have to move fast.
Another that sells out fast is my Tide-mark All-Pennsy color calendar. I ordered back in July, the first I ordered. It sells out in a couple weeks.
I’m a Pennsy-man, which explains my gravitation toward Pennsy calendars.
My becoming a railfan was after exposure to Pennsy steam-locomotives on Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines (“REDD-ing;” not “reading”) in south Jersey.
Photo by Robert Long©.
Exactly where it all began.

Photo by Robert Long©.
Almost exactly where it all began.
“Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines” (PRSL) is an amalgamation of Pennsylvania and Reading railroad-lines in south Jersey to counter the fact the two railroads had too much parallel track. It was promulgated in 1933. It serviced mainly the south Jersey seashore from Philadelphia.
I get other calendars.
My Ghosts WWII warbirds calendar gets advertised via e-mail, and I ordered it in August.
I also ordered my Musclecar calendar in August after a search of Motorbooks, its publisher.
My Oxman Hotrod Calendar is also advertised by e-mail, but also by a catalog I got. I ordered in September.
The only calendar I don’t have is my own calendar, and that’s because it’s not made yet.
Well, actually it is, but not printed in quantity yet.
It’s no longer Kodak Gallery®, which was purchased by Shutterfly® when Kodak went bankrupt.
So it’s Shutterfly, and not as impressive as Kodak Gallery.
It’s okay. Maybe I’d be more impressed except I’m used to Kodak Gallery.
I couldn’t get a solid background-color I liked like Kodak Gallery. With Shutterfly I got a “textured” background; variable.
Other backgrounds were available, but none seemed satisfactory — and none were solid colors the same for each month.
I also chose too-large entry-fonts. I have dickering to do when I get it back from Phil Faudi (“FOW-dee;” as in “wow”), who will provide train-symbols to use in captions.
So all that’s lacking is my own calendar, and that’s in process.

• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. Like me she was 68. I miss her dearly.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home