Friday, April 15, 2011

It’s simple

.....said the girl from Life360 support.
“Nothing is ever simple,” my wife remarked.
Over a week ago I downloaded free software from Life360 to my DroidX smartphone.
The idea was for my wife to track me, that is my phone, assuming I was carrying it.
A cellphone has a GPS locator in it, which Life360 would use to precisely locate my phone on a Google-map.
We can do this tracking on my smartphone, and also via computers.
We’d seen it before.
Something tracked the location of my wife’s friend’s iPhone as he drove from Columbus, OH to Webster.
Theoretically I could drive someplace far away alone, and my wife could track me.
It wasn’t working, of course.
So began a torrid e-mail exchange with Life360 support.
“First you have to log in,” we were told.
“I can’t log in,” I responded.
“Your user-name is your e-mail address.”
I have two e-mails. The one Life360 was using was GMail, the one I never use.
Okay, try GMail. AANNT! “Invalid password or user-name.”
“I still can’t log in,” I e-mailed.
“In which case you have to reset your password,” I was told.
Okay, reset password to the same password I used to set up the account.
“We have successfully logged in, but still no tracking.”
“In which case you have to add the family-member you wanna track.”
“We already did that,” I said. “The only two family-members on our account are my wife and I. Do them again, and I’d be duplicating.”
Finally, still getting nowhere, my wife called the Life360 support-desk.
“It’s simple,” the girl said.
At which point my wife said “nothing is ever simple.”
“We also noticed a button to run Life360 in the background. We’ll try that,” my wife said.
Nothing was ever said about that background button.
What we got were suggestions we disable Task-Killer® for Life360.
Now I’m being tracked; my DroidX that is.
I get the feeling us old codgers got it to work ourselves.
I think Life360 needed to be in the background, which Life360 never suggested.
Well, at least Life360 support sounded like Silicon Valley, not Sri Lanka.
They helped me reset my password, except it was the same password I set up with.

• “Webster” NY is a suburb east of Rochester, NY.
• “Task-Killer” is a smartphone computer application that “force-quits” applications frozen or run amuck.
• RE: “Old codgers......” —We’re both 67.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home