Wednesday, March 11, 2009

phenomenal-avoidance

I’m headed west on 5&20, returning from mighty Weggers, mighty Lowes (usual wonky signature at mighty Lowes), and the vaunted Canandaigua YMCA.
I’m in our CR-V, and it’s fairly windy.
Ahead is a wandering full-size navy Chevy pickup. He’s wandering all over the road.
I fall back; what is he drunk?
Maybe, but I think not. Maybe his pickup is being blown all over the road.
Well, I’m not having that problem; I can compensate for the frequent gusts.
I keep it within the lines, but this guy is wandering off into the shoulder, and across the double-yellow.
He manages to avoid an oncoming semi, but HOLY MACKEREL!
Sure will be nice when I get to Route 65 and can turn off 5&20.
WHUP! The wonderer is signaling to turn right (north) onto 65. —What a joyous pleasure!
I’ll be following him to our house.
Wanderer disappears far ahead. The speed-limit is 40 mph; and I usually wick it up to 45 or so. I travel about a quarter-mile before turning into our driveway.
Wanderer must be doing 65 or so.
Must be one of them Git-R-Dun engineers yammering on his cellphone.
Too far ahead to see if he had a Dubya sticker.

  • “5&20” is the main east-west road through our area; State Route 5 and U.S. Route 20, both on the same road. 5&20 is just south of where we live. (We live on State Route 65 in the rural town of West Bloomfield in western NY.)
  • “Mighty Weggers” is Wegmans, a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester we often buy groceries at. “Mighty Lowes” is the nationwide big-box home-supply chain Lowes. They both have stores in Canandaigua.
  • RE: “Usual wonky signature at mighty Lowes.......” —Lowes has electronic credit-card signature machines. What is reproduced as my signature is nothing like my signature. I blogged about this once. Lines were appearing where I hadn’t touched the electronic pen.
  • I work out in the Canandaigua YMCA exercise-gym.
  • The “CR-V” is our 2003 Honda CR-V SUV.
  • My all-knowing, blowhard brother-from-Boston, the macho ad-hominem king, who noisily badmouths everything I do or say, was trained as an engineer; and I was a college history-major. Which makes him VASTLY superior. He’s very much a Git-R-Dun hard-charger.
  • A “Dubya-sticker” is a Bush-Cheney 2004 bumper-sticker. All insane traffic-moves seem to involve Bush-supporters. They seem to think they have the right.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home