Friday, February 06, 2009

Get your cellphone out, and take on the world!

I’m motoring placidly east this morning (Friday, February 6, 2009) on 5&20 in the Bathtub, toward the park in Canandaigua where we take our dog.
I pass through Centerville, and start down the defile we cross before crossing Hickox Road atop the other side, a way-marker at the beginning of Canandaigua city.
At the bottom of the defile is Hopkins Road, where I once almost T-boned a Volvo station-wagon that pulled out right in front of me.
A Chrysler minivan is descending the other side of the defile, coming west.
A Ford Windstar minivan is parked on the westbound shoulder at the bottom of the defile.
All-of-a-sudden the Windstar pulls out right in front of the Chrysler minivan, requiring the Chrysler minivan to slam on its brakes.
This doesn’t effect me at all, since I’m heading east, and the protagonists are heading west.
Nor did I precipitate this encounter, as will be noisily claimed by the ad-hominem King.
The two minivans proceed up the hill, and pass as I’m going down.
I see the Windstar driver is yammering on his cellphone; illegal in this state.
Did he even look at all, before pulling out?
Didn’t look for a Dubya-sticker as they passed — I don’t care that much.
Mighta been a Dubya supporter, but he looked too young to be that.
Cellphone usage entitles one to pull out in front of people willy-nilly.
Get your cellphone out, and take on the world!

  • “5&20” is the main east-west road through our area; State Route 5 and U.S. Route 20, both on the same road. 5&20 is just south of where we live, and is the main road to nearby Canandaigua.
  • The “Bathtub” is our 2005 Toyota Sienna van; called that because it’s white and like sitting in a bathtub.
  • Our current dog is “Scarlett;” a rescue Irish-Setter. She’s three-plus, and is our sixth Irish-Setter.
  • The “ad-hominem King” is my all-knowing, macho, blowhard brother-from-Boston, who noisily badmouths everything I do or say. He claims my driving is inferior to his, and that I drive like an old bluehair.
  • “Dubya-sticker” is a Bush-Cheney 2004 bumper-sticker. All insane traffic-moves seem to involve Bush-supporters. They seem to think they have the right.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home