Friday, January 30, 2009

“I was a reprehensible sinner!”

I’m in the Mens Locker-Room at the vaunted Canandaigua YMCA.
“I did my work-out here the other day, and then went home to another work-out: shoveling snow,” said some guy to Jim, one of the few people I know at the Canandaigua YMCA.
Jim, like me, is a runner — probably in his 40s or even 50s.
“But I like snow,” the guy said.
“Yeah, so do I,” I said. “I’ve done more cross-country skiing this year than I did in the past five previous years combined.”
“Houghton, eh?” the guy said looking at me.
I was wearing the dark maroon Houghton tee-shirt I bought at the Houghton bookstore, when we all visited there two summers ago.
“Yep,” I said; “Class of ‘66.”
“I’m from Fillmore,” the guy said.
“Which is right up the road; Route 19,” I responded.
“Almost went to Houghton, but they didn’t have intercollegiate sports,” he said.
“Nor when I was there,” I said. “First intercollegiate sports event was a cross-country foot-race in 1967. That was a year after I graduated.”
The guy was slightly older than me.
“Back then ya weren’t allowed to go to movies, or attend dances......”
“And sleeveless dresses were forbidden, as were shorts,” I added.
“Yep,” he chuckled; “shorts were of-the-devil.”
“I was there in 1963 when Kennedy was assassinated, and were it not for my house-owner, we couldn’t watch all the news on the TV. TV was of-the-devil. There were no TVs on campus. Didja hear all that, Jim?”
Jim looked at me strangely and grimaced.
“Yet look at the place now,” the guy said. “It’s a beautiful campus. And it sure has changed.”
“Yep; I’ve never regretted going there, and that’s despite their graduating me without their approval,” I said. “I was a reprehensible sinner. Worse yet, I was a mocker!”

  • I work out at the Canandaigua YMCA evercise-gym.
  • “Houghton” is Houghton College in western New York, from where I graduated with a BA in 1966. Houghton is a religious liberal-arts college.
  • RE: “When we all visited there two summers ago........” —“All” is most members of my family.
  • State “Route 19” is the main north-south drag through Houghton.

    Labels:

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home