Thursday, January 24, 2008

New BuildMark garage-door opener

The Keed with the dreaded D100 with flash.
New BuildMark garage-door opener.
Our electrical garage-door opener finally gave up.
Actually, I was expecting the garage-door would give up first.
Our 94-year-old nosy neighbor had to replace all his garage-doors last year.
A panel on one went akilter and jammed the whole kabosh.
It also didn’t help he had rammed a door with his car.
He has three doors, each about eight feet wide by seven feet high.
Ours, only one door, is gigantic: 8' by 16'. The builder wanted to install two doors, each 8' by 7'. (“Looks right that way.”)
Nothing doing!
With two doors I gotta shovel out both sides. With one door I can jimmy both cars out one side.
(This happened after a few years during a gigantical blizzard.)
I also had to have eight feet high to clear the E250.
Plus the E250 wouldn’t thread a single eight-foot-wide door. Too wide over the mirrors.
And I wasn’t changin’ the oil on that sucker outside in the snow any more.
So it’s a gigantical 16 by 8 foot door; the largest residential garage-door available at that time.
From what I can see, the door still works pretty good.
We had to open it manually in place of the failed opener, and it still tracks fine; although it’s monstrously heavy (needing two people).
I’ve had to make a few minor repairs over the years.
The hinges are screwed into the stamped aluminum panel-casings with sheetmetal screws — a failure waiting to happen. (The panel-casings are filled with Styrofoam.)
Regional Transit installed garage-doors constructed this way on its bus-garages — they lasted about four months.
That door-replacement project was bid out by my old railfan friend Chip, and I told him that construction would never last.
Them doors are being worked 10 or more times a day, so I knew the hinge-attachments would pull out.
I had already relocated hinges on my residential door.
Mine kept pulling so much I finally through-bolted the whole kabosh and seated with fender-washers.
I think I’ve done that with a third of the hinges.
The sheetmetal screws also rust; and are steel in aluminum.
The Keed with the dreaded D100 with flash.
New BuildMark garage-door opener.
But they ain’t the opener.
It would hesitate when lifting, so I have a hunch it had a nylon gear inside which had stripped.
After all, it’s lifting a heavy door, and the unit is 18 years old.
I wanted to pursue this repair myself, for once; despite my difficulty speaking.
And I suppose it was just as well. They suggested a standard door-opener for a single 8 by 7.
“Oh no,” I said. “This is a huge door: 16 by 8.”
They ramped up to a larger, more powerful unit; saving a service-call where they could conclude the smaller unit wouldn’t suffice.
They also wanted to give me only one remote.
“Well, I need two,” I said.
Like Jack’s Denali, the Bucktooth Bathtub has an integral door-trigger. But why go to all of the trouble of programming that thing when an extry remote is only $20?

  • “The E250” is our 1979 Ford Econoline van, “250” because it was rated at three-quarter tons. Probably the neatest vehicle we’ve ever owned. Old Henry (Ford) would have been proud.
  • For 16&1/2 years I drove transit bus for Regional Transit Service, the transit-bus operator in Rochester, N.Y.
  • “Chip” is my friend Charles Walker. He worked at Regional Transit in management, and like me is a railfan.
  • “The dreaded D100” is my Nikon D100 digital camera. (My siblings don’t approve; they noisily insist I should use point-and-shoot like them.)
  • RE: “I wanted to pursue this repair myself, for once; despite my difficulty speaking.......” —I had a stroke October 26, 1993, which slightly compromised my speaking.
  • “Jack” is my loudmouthed macho brother-from-Boston (Jack Hughes) who noisily badmouths everything I do or say. He has a GMC Denali. “The Bucktooth-Bathtub” is our 2005 Toyota Sienna van; called that because it’s white and like sitting in a bathtub, and appears to have a bucktooth on the grill.
  • 3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    One of the first things someone notices when looking at the front of a home is the garage door - this is an important fact for a number of reasons, including pride in the way one's home looks, selling a home (curb appeal) and even security. Of course, anyone likes for his or her home to look nice.

    Rolling Gate Repairs Brooklyn

    10:30 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Your garage door should not take 2 people to lift. Your tension spring is either broken or need a couple more twists.

    6:08 AM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    What universal remote woodwork with this unit?

    5:53 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home