Sunday, October 28, 2007

HMMMMMMMNNNNNNN.........

Here it is 12:55 p.m. (Sunday, October 28, 2007), and our fantabulous new Sony combination DVD/VHS recorder is reading 11:55 a.m.
HMMMMMMMNNNNNNN.........
I could just knee-jerk blame our ISP, but as far as I know our combination DVD/VHS recorder isn’t connected to the Internet in any way.
Both our video and Internet come over the cable, but the combination DVD/VHS recorder is only reading the video-feed.
It ain’t getting a time-signal. The dreaded manual tells me I could set up a local time-signal, like from the local PBS station (Dubya-Hex-Hex-Hi), but I haven’t bothered.
What I do is align it with my ‘pyooter, setting it manually, for crying out loud. My ‘pyooter is getting the official time over the Internet from the NIST-site, the dreaded atomical clock in Colorado.
Only takes a minute or two. To me getting the time-signal automagically makes as much sense as rain-sensing windshield-wipers. Why can’t ya just turn the suckers on if it rains? (I don’t want them coming on automagically if I wash my car, or my boat-trailer drags my car into the lake.)
My dentist always regales me with complaints about power-windows.
Some lady loses control of her Taurus and takes it into the Erie Canal. The battery shorts out, so she can’t get the windows down to get out of her fast-sinking car.
Were it not for some passing good-samaritan she would have drowned.
Used to be power-windows were an option. But no longer.
The last vehicle we had with crank-windows was our 1993 Astrovan. And I had to specify the hand-cranks instead of power-windows.
Now both our CR-V and the Bucktooth Bathtub have power-windows. I guess we have to keep them outta the drink.
Apparently our combination DVD/VHS recorder dropped the time back automagically to Standard this weekend.
It wasn’t programed to allow for Congressional whimsy; where every Congressman but mine is evil and stupid.
So I guess I’ll have to reset it myself, and reset it next weekend when the time actually falls back.
But we all know it’s our ISP and my “silly MAC.”
If I would just bow to the all-knowing wisdom of the almighty Bluster-King, our combination DVD/VHS recorder would be telling the kerreck time.

  • RE: “blame our ISP............” ISP equals Internet-Service-Provider; in our case RoadRunner via the cable. Last July my macho, blowhard brother-from-Boston visited, and set up a wireless Internet connection to my router. His Internet reception was spotty, so he loudly blamed our Internet-Service-Provider (ISP). Now anything untoward is due to my ISP.
  • Our local PBS radio and TV station in Rochester is “Dubya-Hex-Hex-Hi,” (WXXI).
  • “The CR-V” is our 2003 Honda CR-V SUV. “The Bucktooth-Bathtub” is our 2005 Toyota Sienna van; called that because it’s white and like sitting in a bathtub, and appears to have a bucktooth on the grill.
  • RE: “silly MAC........” All my siblings use PCs, but I use a MAC, so am therefore reprehensible.
  • “The almighty Bluster-King” (Jack Hughes) is my macho, loudmouthed brother-from-Boston, who noisily badmouths everything I do or say.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home