Thursday, August 23, 2007

“Yammer-mouth.......”

-Someone other than the dreaded Amazon-Lady this time......
I am one of the regulars at the Canandaigua YMCA; regular in that I try to be there Monday, Wednesday and Friday about 11 a.m.
When I’m there, I see pretty much the same people: skinny old John the marathoner, various stroke-survivors, the pretty girl that lifts weights and is too full of herself, and of course the dreaded Amazon-Lady.
But Amazon-Lady is a YMCA employee; the others, like me, are just users (“clients,” “members;” whatever). Our checking-accounts get charged $45.50 per month to help pay Amazon-Lady.
Another regular almost as notorious as Amazon-Lady is one I call “yammer-mouth.”
He looks like a fireplug: that is, immensely heavy and musclebound on top, yet skinny legs.
What he exercises most is his jaw. He ambles into the gym, and accosts a user; usually someone blasting away on an elliptical.
After maybe 15 minutes of yammering, he gets on a treadmill, sets it at 15 minutes, and wicks it up to about 4 mph: a fast walk (I do 3.6).
Then he steps onto the fast-moving belt for a minute or two, and then steps off; belt still booming-and-zooming.
It continues like this for 15 minutes: on, then off, then on, then off.
Then the treadmill stops and he wanders back out of the gym; usually stopping to jaw at someone.
He accosted me once, before I saw he was a yammer-mouth. But now I avoid him; I don’t want to be distracted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home