Saturday, March 03, 2007

Amazon-lady

Yesterday (Friday, March 2, 2007) I had occasion to observe the infamous Amazon-lady work out at the Canandaigua YMCA.
Amazon-lady is a Y employee, which gives her time to crunch the machines.
She is so bound with rippling muscle it is frightening - the exact opposite of feminine allure. Looks like she could utterly destroy any pants-wearer.
When I arrived she was madly cranking an Elliptical.
Ellipticals seem to be the most challenging. Working one I get a constant heart-rate of 135: RED ZONE. My target heart-rate is 126; although 131-132 isn't red-zone.
The recumbent averages 112-116; although at the PT-gym I'd average 126. Still haven't worked it out yet.
The treadmill gets 126 after 20-25 minutes; and over 130 after 30 minutes.
I do 36 minutes; a minute or two of which might be in the red-zone.
I walk at 3.6 mph (not 152) the whole time.
I don't feel I could run on it; there are balance-issues on both it and the Elliptical (BRAIN-INJURY ALERT).
I've never paid much attention to Amazon-lady on the aerobic machines, except to note she's blasting away.
Linda says Amazon-lady rages at them: clenching her fists and gritting her teeth.
Yesterday Amazon-lady did the Nautilus-circuit, which is what I observed.
Amazon-lady got on the quads-machine and set the pin at three times what I pull.
I've done that too, but it didn't seem consistent with the idea of cranking that weight 100 times.
Jack would probably do a show-off lifting the entire stack; but I doubt he could do it more than once.
Amazon-lady did a few other Nautilus machines, and then attacked the leg-press, which I had just done.
She tripled the weight I had pulled, and then started raging at the machine: eyes winced, teeth gritted, fists clenched.
The best part was when a 60-ish Granny chipperly asked Amazon-lady what her secret was.
Amazon-lady avoided her and walked sullenly away. No time for no 60-ish Granny-dreamer.
I think her secret may be cranking in weights that cause pain, and probably body-building supplements - maybe even hormones.

  • "Linda" is my wife.
  • "Jack" is my blowhard macho younger brother in Boston.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home