Thursday, November 02, 2006

coming weather

Yesterday (Monday, October 2) a long discussion broke out at the PT-gym concerning the week’s coming weather.
I was there alone, as is often the case. Linda stays home to do things and keep the dogs company. We decided working out is more beneficial to me — after all, it’s me that will skonk the bluster-boy.
Quite often Linda is just sitting while I blast the machines. I have lost about 20 pounds; Linda 10-12.
They were processing clients while we gym-members worked out.
The Physical Therapist was there, along with a second PT who is covering for the store-owner while she’s away. #1 is 25 and just married; #2 is in her late 20s or early 30s and has a toddler.
“It’s gonna rain tomorow,” said #1.
“Then it will rain off and on the rest of the week,” piped #2.
“Probably snow Friday,” remarked Bonnie, a gym-member who can hardly walk.
Bonnie reminds me of Aunt Betty, only much worse. She’s probably only in her late 50s, but is overweight and looks like a TV-addict. Glom Cheetos and ‘Dew on the sofa watching TV, and this is what happens.
“Can’t snow yet,” I said. “I don’t have my ‘blower back.” (Our dreaded snowblower is being “tuned.”)
“Oh don’t say that word,” said #1. “‘Snow’ is a dirty word.”
Then began a long and tortured discussion about how awful snow is, until I ended it with “snow is the stuff ya ski on;” what I used to say at the mighty Mezz when people started bellyaching about snow.
“Downhill?” asked #1.
“Nope; cross-country,” I said.
“And believe you-me, the ultimate challenge to balance is to stay on your feet on cross-country skis on open ice at 35°.”
“So how’d ya do?” #1 asked.
“Got so I could do it,” I said. “Fell quite a few times at first, but ‘I used to be able to do this.’”
“‘I used to be able to tie my shoes’” .....so now I can. Same for skiing and riding motorbike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home