Saturday, May 15, 2021

DO IT!

—One of my three friends at Canandaigua’s YMCA swimming pool, all of whom happen to be female (“GASP”), takes me to task for striking up conversations with women.
I should be as eager to strike up conversations with men, as if my preferring women indicates sexual compulsion.
Sorta, but men are more likely to bomb, whereas women always succeed.
I rendered my example of how a gentleman about took my head off in my supermarket parking-lot when I tried to strike up a conversation.
Or how it’s always the wife who talks to me, if I try to strike up a conversation with a couple.
Or how the wife wouldn’t re-join her husband, because she preferred talking with me.
“And if it’s a dude with a girl: don't even try!
I don't know as my friend’s criticism applies any more, since it’s gotten so I strike up conversations with just about anybody: men, women, frumps, Wicked-Witch-of-the-West, et al.
The other day I had to go to a supermarket other than the one I usually use, which is in nearby Canandaigua.
I needed my mega-buck whole-bean-coffee, which I ran my Canandaigua supermarket out of.
I went to a new supermarket up in Henrietta, the one I call “The Palace.” It has a spired clock-tower, parapets; everything but a moat.
Amazingly it even sells groceries.
Here comes a frumpy woman in a sweatshirt that says “cancer sucks!”
“It sure does,” I said, striking up a conversation, even with a frump.
“I lost my wife to cancer!” I shouted. “BEST friend I ever had!”
“I’m sorry,” she cooed.
I met her again in a different aisle.
“There’s that sweatshirt again,” I shouted.
She stopped, and we started talking: “the reason I wear this sweatshirt is because I treated cancer patients years ago. Then I switched to women with breast-cancer.”
I choked up a little at “breast-cancer.”
“I lost my wife to breast cancer,” I said. “That was nine years ago, and I still can’t get over it.”
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! Say something! Men, women, frumps, Wicked-Witch-of-the-West, et al.
People love to talk; especially women.
It doesn’t matter who any more; I strike up conversations much more frequently than I did even a few months ago.
I do that and I get a frump wishing she could allay my pain.

• At least 15-20 strike-ups today at Boughton Park. “Here they come:” “Say something!” (Only one girl avoided; she looked nasty.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home