Friday, March 27, 2020

“Moving forward” and “reaching out”

—Pretty  Italian  girl  with  the  smiling  eyes  —  she  was  wearing  a  mask  —  crashed  in  flames  the  other  day  when  she  used  the  words  “moving  forward.”
“I’m  sure  *****  will  ‘reach  out’  to  tell  you  their  clinic  closed.”
(*****  is  my  physical-therapist.)
Jargon  alert!
Some  time  ago  I  told  my  lifeguard  friend  at  the  Canandaigua  YMCA  swimming-pool  if  she  wanted  me  to  stop  talking  to  her,  all  she  had  to  do  was  dye  her  hair  green.
No  tattoos  either,  nor  facial  steel.
“How  about  if  we  just  talk  to  each  other?  Tell  me  everything!  That’s  more  fun!”
A  pretty  young  girl  got  a  nose-ring.  Her  father  surmised  her  a  pig.
I  guess  I  just  don’t  fit  =  wrong  generation  I’m  told.
How  can  I  enjoy  the  company  of  someone  with  acres  of  body-art?
One  of  the  co-owners  of  my  dog-kennel  has  acres  of  body-art.  She’s  such  fun  to  talk  to  I  look  past  that.
The  other  co-owner  is  cute  for  her  age,  which  is  46  or  47.
There’s  one  problem:  she  smokes,  but  only  a  little.
No  way  could  I  climb  in  the  sack  with  someone  who  smokes!”
“I  might  hafta  quit,”  she  says.
Some  time  ago  I  collared  one  of  their  pretty  young  employees.  I  told  her  “pleeze,  puh-leeze,  don’t  start  smoking.”
That’s  not  a  moral  imperative.  “I’m  so  glad  I  never  started.  You  start  smoking,  and  you’ll  gunk  up  your  lungs,  even  if  you  quit  later,  which  isn’t  easy.”
After  76  years  one  reason  I’m  still  here  is  I  never  smoked.
My  cardiologist  asked  if  I  smoked.  “I  wouldn’t  dare!”  I  shouted.
My  brother-and-I  were  in  an  Altoona  convenience  store,  and  he  complained  about  the  price  of  gas.
“I  bet  cigarettes  in  Massachusetts  cost  a  lot  too,”  the  clerk  said.  (My  brother  lives  near  Boston.)
“We  don’t  have  that  problem,”  my  brother  said.  My  brother  never  smoked  either.
A  lot  of  jargon  came  and  went  during  my  time  on  this  planet.  I  remember  video-ads  shot  with  a  trembling  camera  to  mimic  what  home-video  might  get.
I  also  remember  “touching  base”  for  phonecalls.  That’s  still  pretty  current,  but  no  baseball  for  this  kid.
If  you  don’t  get  the  jargon,  you  are  inferior.  Same  with  abbreviations.  Why  can’t  one  say  “Internet-Service-Provider”  instead  of  “ISP?”
That’s  partly  why  tech-help  is  such  a  time-waster.  Abbreviations  and  jargon  need  explaining.
Long  ago  I  wrote  up  a  resumé  for  myself.  It  was  loaded  with  jargon.  It  seemed  that  was  what  mattered.  Not  character  or  attendance,  but  mastery  of  jargon.  And  regrettably  jargon  perpetuates  itself.
I  bet  jargon  helped  that  Italian  girl  land  that  job.  Now  all  she  has  to  do  is  show  up,  and  display  good  values.  I  happen  to  be  acquainted  with  her  bosses,  and  I  think  they  see  past  jargon.
But  maybe  not  moving  forward.”  (GAAK!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home