Friday, March 20, 2020

“Too much negative stuff on FB lately”

—So said an actual friend with whom I happen to be Facebook “friends.”
She thereafter began a “Family Feud” game on her Facebook. Sadly, few are playing.
I have a Facebook, but don’t do much with it. I’ve considered dumping it, but haven’t since so many actual friends use Facebook.
Some time ago I heard my friend telling a much older gentleman Facebook is worth having since it allows a family to communicate despite distant separation.
That gentleman refuses to be tech-savvy, and successfully driving Facebook takes computer-literacy.
Years ago, back before Facebook, a younger brother set up a family website. The provider was MyFamily.com.
I used it, but never had much family news.
MyFamily.com eventually tanked, perhaps because of Facebook.
So now my siblings use Facebook to communicate. Plus it’s more powerful. Facebook crunches video; I don’t think MyFamily could.
By not using Facebook I’m out-of-the-loop. That brother’s son, my nephew, and his wife, had a new baby. My learning of that was three years later. The birth was announced via Facebook, so naturally I’m out-of-it because I don’t Facebook much.
The announcement was probably on my “home-page,” which I rarely look at.
I used to say Facebook was for those lacking a life. Dancing-cat videos and bathroom humor.
But Facebook became a sounding-board for all the strident Rush Limbaugh wannabees. And that’s both ways: Trump-haters and Trump-lovers.
And it’s MY Facebook. If anyone posts anything I delete. Comments and “likes” I allow, but otherwise it’s MY Facebook.
I think my “friend’s” Facebook is the same. And it seems my “friend” no longer posts the occasional “pearls-of-wisdom” to which I earlier looked forward.
So-be-it! Facebook is no longer what it was. My brother-in-Boston, who refuses to Facebook, says I probably fiddle my Facebook all-day-long.
Hardly, although some do.
I think Facebook’s time is over.
“Too much negative stuff,” my friend says.
Plus a prez hot to make Internet potshots from the White House toilet at 3 a.m.
Gumint by Tweet®. Time for a uniter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home