Wednesday, January 01, 2020

My train-calendar for January, 2020

Norfolk Southern mixed manifest 10N switches onto Nittany & Bald Eagle in Tyrone. (Photo by BobbaLew.)

—It was February 6th, 2015, a Friday. My brother and I were in the Altoona area to get snow-pictures for my train-calendar: January, February and December. It was pretty cold.
Unbeknownst to us, or perhaps known, Norfolk Southern local C42 dropped off cars in Tyrone (probably the previous day) for Nittany & Bald Eagle. Nittany & Bald Eagle is Pennsy’s old Bald Eagle branch, but Norfolk Southern has trackage-rights.
N&BE would take the cars up to its various branches, like State College (Penn State). Norfolk Southern occasionally uses N&BE’s main to get from its Erie line through Lock Haven down to its cross-state ex-Pennsy main through Tyrone.
N&BE is built to the hilt. It needed to support heavy NS coal-trains for a power-plant upstate.
N&BE could not move its local until NS cleared 10N north and 11N south. I think 11N came first, and allowed N&BE to move north before 10N appeared.
N&BE would switch off its mainline to its branches, which would allow 10N to follow on N&BE’s main.
I may have this backwards. Both 11N and 10N may have had to clear before N&BE could use its main. I remember 11N came first, which allowed 10N or the N&BE local.
The January 2020 entry of MY calendar is 10N switching onto N&BE in Tyrone.
2015 is long ago, but I remember 10N holding the N&BE main in Tyrone after we shot the N&BE local north of Tyrone.
Things don’t make sense, but apparently the N&BE local left Tyrone before 10N arrived. We have pictures of that N&BE local up in Bald Eagle, but apparently we returned to Tyrone to get this picture.
I don’t remember.
All I know is it’s snow, and fairly impressive. Every snow-picture in this 2020 calendar is this trip in 2015.
My brother and I hope to hit the area again with snow — I’m running outta snow-pictures.
But we’re both getting old. I turned 71 the previous day; now I soon will be 76, and my brother is 62.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The pictures are impressive -- size of calendar is great for writing notes. Thanks again.
Janet

7:15 PM  
Blogger Robert Patrick Hartle said...

Yes Thank you so much!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home