Friday, December 13, 2019

“Uhm......”


—“Is IT true?”
That’s a correction I posted to my aquacise instructor’s Facebook.
Look carefully and you’ll see it says “Is is true?”
That’s not her error; it’s whoever supplied it. Which makes it laughable: a Pearl-of-Wisdom with a glaring typo.
Grist for Limbaugh and his strident motor-mouths.
“The reason you make such mistakes is because you’re ‘liberial’.” (“Liberial” is the proper CONSERVATIVE spelling of “Liberal.”)
That aquacise instructor and I happen to be Facebook “Friends,” due to a fast-one by SuckerBird and his cronies. They secretly trolled my cellphone contacts after I installed Facebook-for-iPhone. I had just put my aquacise instructor’s phone-number in my contacts from her business-card.
I don’t mind, except it’s another Facebook fast-one. I look at her Facebook often, since she occasionally posts things I find interesting.
As above, for example.
It seems she’s like me = it’s her Facebook. Similarly it’s my Facebook. I delete preaching.
The only outside input I allow is “likes” and comments. No preaching so far. If that happened I’d probably end my Facebook.
We used to get similar typos at the Mighty Mezz. Stuff that passes spellcheck, yet needs fixin’.
Long ago I had a stroke, but I’m also a graduate of Houghton College. Houghton’s legacy is GET IT RIGHT!”
The reason I fit so well at the Mighty Mezz, despite minor stroke deficits, was I was motivated to get it right!
“Okay,” I once asked another ex-editor lady-friend; ”where do you put the quote-marks, before or after the period?”
“Before,” she shrieked.
“Well, maybe at your newspaper,” I said; “but not at the Mighty Mezz.”
We better put them end-quotes after the period, lest the CONSERVATIVES phone our head-honcho to clean his ears out.”

• “SuckerBird” is Mark Zuckerberg, founder and head-honcho of Facebook.
• The “Mighty Mezz” is the Canandaigua Daily-Messenger newspaper, from where I retired 14 years ago. BEST job I ever had. I was employed there almost 10 years — over 11 if you count my time as a post-stroke unpaid intern.
• I had a stroke October 26th, 1993 from an undiagnosed heart-defect since repaired. I pretty much recovered. Just tiny detriments; I can pass for never having had a stroke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home