Thursday, August 22, 2019

Browser wars

Bookmark by bookmark, Apple’s Safari® skonks mighty Firefox®, the Internet browser I used for years.
Now I run two Safari bookmarks.
It started when SuckerBird and his cronies, in infinite wisdom, decided to make Facebook no longer work with Firefox. I couldn’t post anything, and “notifications” hung.
“Maybe it’s Firefox,” said my brother in northern DE. I called him — he’s my Facebook maven.
“They like to do that,” he added. Unannounced of course.
“Try something else,” he noted. I happen to have Safari on this laptop. It came with my OSX.
So I copy/pasted my Facebook address from Firefox into Safari’s address-window.
Viola! That worked.
La-dee-dah! Firefox is my default browser, and I have 89 bazilyun bookmarks.
“Do you wanna make Safari your default browser?”
Absolutely not! Not as long as it quits when I try to enter my Google-account password.”
I run one other website as background all day. It’s a streamer from a webcam in Cresson, PA. It looks out on the old Pennsylvania Railroad through Cresson. That railroad is now Norfolk Southern.
It’s been kinda flaky recently; like maybe I need to empty my Firefox cache. I have to research how to do that, usually YouTube.
So I decided to copy/paste my streamer link into Safari. The streamer works there too. I bookmarked it. Now that’s two Safari bookmarks.
I still prefer Firefox. It’s easy to use, and not allied to a major ‘pyootering firm.
“Why not Google Chrome®?” my brother asks.
“Google is trying to take over the the entire known universe,” I say.
Two bookmarks so far. But that’s two more than this Firefox fan had two months ago.

• “SuckerBird” is Mark Zuckerberg, founder and head-honcho of Facebook.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home