Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Another female surprise

Having walked into the kennel that daycares my dog, I noticed a pretty young employee I befriended a while ago wearing a “State College Altoona” teeshirt.
“Altoona?” I asked.
“This teeshirt is borrowed,” she said. “It’s my friend’s. She’s a student at State College Altoona.”
“Been to Altoona hundreds of times,” I said. “Took that train-picture near Altoona.”
I pointed to my train-calendar. That kennel has one since they always board my dog when I go to Altoona.
“Altoona is the eastern base of Allegheny Mountain,” I said. “It’s where the railroad crossed that mountain about 1850. That was the Pennsylvania Railroad. Now it’s Norfolk Southern.
I always love Altoona,” I added. “Lotsa trains, and they’re always ‘pedal-to-the-metal’ climbing that mountain.”
The kennel is owned by two ladies, both in their middle forties. They never charge me anything, except when I board my dog. The price of my daycare seems to be make ‘em laugh — which I can’t help doing.
That young lady is one of their recent successful hires. I call her “Long Tall Sally,” a Little Richard song, since she’s taller than me, and I don’t know her name.
“Just one thing,” I told her a few days ago. “Please, please, puh-leeze; don’t start smoking.”
She loved it, since I wasn’t some overly-judgmental religious zealot.
“I am so glad I never started, and I’m old enough to be your grandfather.
Some day you’ll wanna stop, which isn’t easy. Even then your lungs will already be gunked up.”
What’s notable here, of course, is I struck up a conversation with a pretty young girl. Years ago if the Altoona teeshirt were on a guy I coulda said something. But not on a pretty young girl.
I’m a graduate of the Hilda Q. Walton School of Gender Relations. Constant-readers know all about Hilda. (Click on link otherwise.)
“No pretty girl will talk to you!”
For 50-some years I avoided pretty ladies. That’s Hilda — and my hyper-religious parents.
But now since my wife died, I find those zealots were all WRONG!
Long Tall Sally always smiles whenever she sees me.

• Just recently my bereavement-counselor noted I still am surprised I find myself so successful with women.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home