Friday, July 05, 2019

Order more-or-less restored

At age-75 I occasionally get stinking computer hairballs.
My cheering-section (my wife) died over seven years ago. I hafta solve these problems myself.
Facebook, which I rarely look at, would no longer post anything. My browser was Firefox 67.0.4, the most recent update.
I post these blogs on Facebook — as a link. I also had a photograph to post.
I called my brother in northern DE, a Facebook maven.
“Maybe it’s your browser,” he suggested. “Facebook may have switched to only Internet-Explorer and Apple’s “Safari.” (And perhaps Google Chrome, which he uses.)
So I fired up Safari. “As I understand it,” I said to my brother; “my Facebook is stand-alone, and any browser can access it.”
Facebook under Safari wanted a login. I provided a FB password I had on my desktop. “That password is old. Three months ago your password was changed.”
-Hairball number-one.
Next was trying to fly a blog on BlogSpot, my blog-service.
My usual BlogSpot interface wanted my Google-account.
“WHAT?” -Hairball number-two.
I couldn’t do anything for lack of a Google-account.
I had no idea what a Google-account was. What I perceived was a mysterious firewall that prevented me from doing anything.
Things were adding up; I was climbing the walls. I began to question my existence.
I tried resetting my Google-account password, and entered that into my BlogSpot entreaty. Nyet! And of course passwords are mere dots. I can’t see if I mistyped, and stroke-survivors often do.
I shut down and went to bed, It was almost midnight already, and I’d have to drive up to Mac-Shack, 25 miles, in hopes ****** would appear to repair the mess I made.
And Mac-Shack is computer repair, not fixing messes.
Plus I don’t think ****** could get me back on Facebook.
The other night I fired up both Firefox and Safari. Firefox had my Facebook address. I copy/pasted that into Safari.
Facebook wanted a password, so I clicked “forgot password” to reset my FB password. I came up with something that wouldn’t prompt “used before” and “old password.” I also wrote down my new password in a small notebook.
I also noticed an icon that made my typing visible.
Viola! I could see what I was typing, and suddenly there was my Facebook.
“We’ll try this,” I said, and I posted a blog-link.
Then “we’ll try this.” I posted the picture that prompted my earlier madness.
I e-mailed my DE brother: “I guess I’m now Facebooking via Safari instead of Firefox.”
If Facebook did indeed walk away from Firefox, “Thanks for telling me, Mark!” (Another Facebook secret.)
It was becoming apparent I could “change password” fairly easily. It helped I could see what I was typing.
I Googled “What is a Google-account?” Seemed it was little more than my e-mail-address and a password.
So change Google-account password. The usual techno-leaps: a secret code was texted to my iPhone. This was similar to “change FB password.” It helped I could see things. Typing blind invites mistypes: (“Naughty-naughty; passwords don’t match!”)
Suddenly my BlogSpot interface reappeared.
Order restored, more-or-less. I could skip Mac-Shack; leave poor ****** alone.

• I had a stroke October 26th, 1993 from an undiagnosed heart-defect since repaired. I pretty much recovered. Just tiny detriments; I can pass for never having had a stroke.
• “Mark” is Mark Zuckerberg, founder and head-honcho of Facebook.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home