Sunday, March 10, 2019

Small-talk

“For cryin’ out loud!” I exclaimed.
Firefox threw up an article about small-talk which I thought I’d look at it, trying to reverse 70+ years of being antisocial.
“Firefox” is my Internet web-browser, and every time I launch it, it fires up “Pocket” suggestions I might wanna read.
I usually never look at anything.
First suggestion in the article was how to start a conversation: “You remind me of a celebrity whose name I can’t remember.”
If anyone said that to me: “Are you kidding? CURRY-FAVOR ALERT! Is this for real? You HAFTA be kidding!”
Moving on: “Open your eyes before opening your mouth.” I’m missing the point, but eye-contact is what people want. I’ve seen it myself. Let the person know you think enough of them to merit continuous eye-contact.
Sadly, my beloved wife never got this. Yet she liked me anyway. 44&1/2 years.
She probably thought she didn’t deserve eye-contact. Like me she also had a difficult childhood. Mainly it was her mother; all-too-happy to apportion guilt.
Now that I see how successful eye-contact is, I wish I’d done it with my wife.
Meanwhile, I’m not trying to redirect society. All I’m doing is trying to reverse “No one will ever talk to you,” plus a 44&1/2-year marriage that allowed me to avoid people.
One of the ladies who lifeguards the Canandaigua YMCA’s swimming-pool occasionally glares at me. No wedding-ring that I can see, so my guess is some dude dumped on her royally.
What can I do to convince her all men aren’t scum — me for example, much to the angry chagrin of my parents and Sunday-School Superintendent neighbor when I was a child.
Simple, dude. Eye-contact with “Hi. How ya doin’?” Followed by “Fine myself; how about you?”
WHOA! She’s smiling at me; She’s eating it up!
The article says “Hi - How ya doin’?” is utterly useless. They’re blowing it royally. “How ya doin’” got ********* smiling at me.

• My “Sunday-School Superintendent neighbor” was the infamous Hilda Q. Walton, who I’ve blogged many times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home