Wednesday, July 04, 2018

I’m losing weight


Bunny rabbits beware! (iPhone photo by BobbaLew.)

The Keed (me) is losing weight.
It’s Killian’s fault, my silly dog. I walk him twice every day if it’s not pouring. That is, if it’s raining gently we go for a walk.
I’m 74. Losing weight was not intended. I got Killian to remain active. Losing weight is an unexpected side-effect.
I’m no longer the skinny athlete I was when I ran. I’m at least 50-60 pounds overweight. That’s 190 versus 130-140 pounds when I ran years ago. It got over 200, even 225.
Killian loves hunting. He’s an Irish-Setter. Walking is hunting: Sniffity-snort! Nose to the ground.
Walking is always on-leash, except in my backyard, which is fenced. If he wasn’t on-leash I’d lose him. Zoom! “Meat for the table. I’ll get it Boss! We’ll roast it over an open fire.”
We hit a nearby park every morning except Tuesday and Thursday when I do aquatic therapy at a local YMCA. Every evening is up-the-street and around a small town park, which is just athletic fields. “Let’s boogie!”
Altogether 4-5 miles per day, at least 2-3 or which are in that wooded park; and it feels like I should consider going further.
So the other night we walked up-the-street. It rained off-and-on all day. I checked my iPhone’s weather-radar, and it looked like the rain had passed.
It was pushing 7:30 p.m., but “Let’s boogie!” I should be doing supper, and the next day was trash-day.” Assemble all trash and put it out the previous night, lest it not be collected at 5:30 a.m., for Heaven sake, the next day.
Up-the-street we started; lurch, BAM, sniffity-snort! Around the park as always. Often there are child soccer or lacrosse games, so Killian snags a feel from mothers. “Pet me!”
Halfway around I use a Johnnie-on-the-spot. Ablutions finished, I cinched my belt. WHOA! One hole tighter than before. I been inching toward that hole, and now my usual belt-hole feels loose.
Before Killian I was two holes farther out. Walking Killian reduced me one hole, and now it’s two.
That wasn’t the plan, but it’s happening. “Take me Master! We got work to do! Bite-size bundles of protein.”
No changes in diet, but I’m losing weight.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home