Tuesday, November 15, 2016

RE: “Multi-sensory immersion in Nature”

“Wha-a-a-a?” I said.
I really enjoy slinging words.
That’s what I call it. I ain’t Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky.
I ain’t Vonnegut or Thomas Pynchon.
But I can sling words pretty well.
If anyone required me to write such gibberish I’d refuse.
If it was a job requirement I’d quit.
I was listening to WXXI, the classical-music radio-station out of Rochester (NY).
Occasionally they do promos, for money I guess.
It’s public radio, mostly funded by listeners.
They also do ads, although they don’t call ‘em ads.
Some wilderness experience for children is planned. Starting a fire with twigs, survival in the wild, etc.
“Oh, woe is me. Guess I’ll go eat worms!”
Nice idea, but how can anyone take that title-phrase seriously?
Maybe this is what the world is coming to. Excessive buzz-words give meaning to life.
In high-school I was told I could write very well.
I didn’t believe it at first.
“But Zink (his name was Zink, my 12th-grade English-teacher), all it is is slinging words.”
“Hughes, you do that better than most.”
After 40-some years I’ve come to believe him.
I feel confident; like I can depend on it.
Siddown, apply pencil to legal-pad, and it always works, even when I’m not inclined.
But no way in a million years am I gonna sling a phrase like that title.

• “Hughes” (“hyooze”) is me, Bob Hughes, BobbaLew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home