Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!

“I like your shirt,” said a pretty young lifeguard at the Canandaigua YMCA’s pool.
“What is it about this Three Stooges tee-shirt?” I thought to myself. “That’s the third person today.”
Yrs Trly is doing aquatic therapy in the YMCA pool.
My balance is dreadful, like non-existent.
I catch myself tipping over.
I don’t know if it’s advancing age, or hobbling so long before my knee-change.
I’ve had total replacement of my left knee. I now have a metal knee.
I’m more inclined to think it’s advancing age, since my balance got worse over the past year.
My knee was replaced almost a year ago.
“I grew up imitating the sounds Curly made,” the girl said.
“Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!” I said.
“Oh, a wise-guy, eh? Here, see this.” POINK!
A few years ago I watched an interview with Moe, the last remaining Stooge.
All-of-a-sudden “A smarty-pants, eh!”
I’m 72; I doubt this lifeguard was over 20.
The Stooges are 1930s I think; most of the cars are late ‘20s or early ‘30s.
All the time I was in high-school, Stooge movies played on our TV. That’s 1960 or so.
That was back when TV only got three channels: the three networks out of Philadelphia. At that time I lived in northern DE.
A local program from Philly played Stooge movies. That program was for kids = entertainment after school.
I had a kid brother with Down Syndrome my parents never institutionalized. Classiest thing they ever did.
I remember his dismay when Nixon resigned. The Stooges were preempted.
“Where’s ‘Tooges? I want ‘Tooges!”
Apparently the Stooges are still playing. A girl 50 years younger than me venerates the Stooges.
“Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!”
No wonder The Donald is running for prez. I hope Hillary-dillery says the following in the next debate:
“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home