Thursday, July 16, 2015

Around-and-around we go

Another case of time-saving technology tossing a time-gobbling monkey-wrench in the works.
I pay my bills online, not the individual payees charging my accounts, but me authorizing my bank-account to pay my bills. This avoids the possibility of a payee going hog-wild and charging my account into oblivion, multiple charges to pay one bill.
I’ve seen it happen. A friend had her checking-account overdrawn by multiple charges for a single bill. Try to get this straightened out by some service-rep in India whose command of English is “I’m deeply, deeply sorry.”
My bank works okay. If anyone makes a mistake it’s me. My bills are paid electronically.
So the other day I set up to make bill-payments.
But my bank suddenly decided my computer was not authorized, same computer I’ve used for years.
So much for setting up bill-payments. I have to “authorize” my computer, a process that will probably take a half-hour.
I didn’t have a half-hour then, and wouldn’t have it the next day either. I couldn’t authorize my computer until the following day (today), which means bill-pay set-ups wouldn’t occur for two+ days.
Thank you, wondrous technology. What was supposed to take five minutes will now take two+ days.
I’ve had this happen before. My bank will suddenly declare my computer not authorized. Why I’ll never know.
Suddenly I have to jump through hoops.
It seems madness like is endemic to our wonderful technological breakthroughs.
I try to order things online, and some glitch in their website makes it impossible, or I have to log in or register.
For what? So they can ply me with 89 bazilyun purchase suggestions, or know my whereabouts?
I don’t have to register to shop at a store — at least not yet.
Computerization promised we’d use less paper. But we’re using more paper now than ever before.
And a tiny appointment-card becomes an 8&1/2-by-11 sheet of printer-paper.
So goes another tree in the forest!
And suddenly my five-minute session of setting up bill-payments becomes a two-day ordeal.
And I predict a frustrated phonecall.

• To be fair, amazingly I was able the “authorize” my computer online in five minutes; that is, without a phonecall. A day saved — what about next time? If anything can go wrong, it will.
• And my bank’s service-reps are local.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home