Wednesday, December 31, 2014

End-of-year begathon

Today is December 31st, 2014; New Year’s Eve.
It seems like I’m getting deluged with end-of-year solicitations to empty my wallet.
The public-radio classical-music station out of Rochester (NY) I listen to, Fresh Air Fund, the Salvation-Army, my college. The e-mail in my iPhone was swamped.
Yesterday I got a phonecall from a local library I occasionally support. They were soliciting an end-of-year gift.
Save money on your taxes. —Yes or no, my wallet is being emptied.
I don’t remember getting deluged last year.
I’m retired, and do better with the standard deduction.
Before retirement I did better gifting charities.
What I perceive is I’m being snowed. I gift once and am perceived a loose wallet.
I load my shredder with hundreds of mailed gift solicitations.
I trash a slew of e-mails.
Jimmy Carter, Planned Parenthood, Cancer Society, American Lung Association, Oxfam America, Doctors-Without-Borders.
I dialed back to supporting only local charities.
So now the national charities wail they miss my support.
Supporting charities is no longer a tax-deduction if I’m retired.
I can gift, but that’s all it is, and I’m not a bottomless pit.
Not long ago I got a solicitation for $10,000.
Are they kidding?
They ain’t gettin’ no $10,000!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home