Friday, November 28, 2014

“Revolutionary and magical”

I worry about not having madness to blog.
Last night I felt like I had run the well dry.
But just-in-the-nick-of-time Steve “Godhead” Jobs, head-honcho of Apple back in 2007 when the iPhone debuted, gave me a topic.
“Revolutionary and magical,” he called it.
My niece’s daughter’s birthday was last Saturday, November 22nd. Her family wanted to eat out to celebrate her birthday.
They didn’t call me because I was supposedly going to south Jersey for Thanksgiving.
But that tanked due to weather.
I had to return home.
So I called about celebrating her birthday.
They planned to eat out Sunday, November 30th.
They would meet at a restaurant at 4 p.m.
So I put it on my paper calendar.
Now to put it in my iPhone.
I use voice-recognition.
“Dinner with Debbie,” I said.
It got that.
Location:
“Elmwood Inn.” It got that.
Start-date and time:
Sunday, November 30th at 4 p.m.
Next step: which calendar, “work” or “home?”
Since I’m retired, I never have a work-calendar.
It does “work” by default, so I attempted to switch to “home.”
LOCK! Wouldn’t do it.
Nothing worked at all; all my phone would do is shut off, and I wasn’t expecting that.
Second attempt:
It locked after location; couldn’t even do a start-date and time.
Third attempt:
I got past the start-date and time, but after that it locked again.
I gave up. So much for “revolutionary and magical.”
My iPhone keeps telling me I could upgrade to a new operating-system, but it won’t let me do it.
It seems to lock after I agree to all the folderol.
Wondrous magic, but it won’t let me upgrade the OS.
And my Apple guru says it’s probably bug-fixes, like maybe fixing the reason it locked in my calendar-app. —He couldn’t update it either.
Time to drag into the ‘pyooter-store that sold me the iPhone, and maybe even an Apple-store.
What happens if one of the bugs needing fixing is what locks up upgrading?
Jobs died of pancreatic-cancer a while ago. My iPhone is a “5,” and its operating-system is up to version iO8.
And it keeps lobbing an iCloud log-in at me, which I don’t need.
I don’t do much with my iPhone, nowhere near what it could do.
To me it’s mainly a phone, but I also have my grocery-lists in it, my calendar when it runs, and I use it down in Altoona to access my Internet weather-site to check the local weather-radar.
I also use it as a camera.
It also gets my e-mail, and often I use it to respond.
But when it comes to my grand-niece’s birthday-gig, I guess I gotta rely on ancient technology: pencil-and-paper.

• “Debbie” is my niece.
• “‘Pyooter” is computer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home