Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Honesty is not always the best policy

The other day, Monday, November 3rd, 2014, I decided to give an honest answer to the “How ya doin’” question, instead of the socially responsible answer.
A guy from Victor Power & Equipment came to return my snowblower, which they had repaired.
It had gushed gasoline all over my garage-floor when I started it. They replaced the carburetor.
I hadn’t analyzed, much as I’m mechanically inclined, since I was gonna turn it over to them to replace a tire larger than the one they already replaced.
Different tire-sizes made it crab. I could have pulled the wheel, but the cotter-pin was froze. I didn’t have the tools to press it out.
“How ya doin’?” the guy asked.
“Horrible,” I said. “My wife died a while ago, and I can’t get over it.”
THUD! Went over like a lead-balloon.
The poor guy was completely flustered. He had no idea what to say.
Obviously, honesty was not the best policy.
My brother from northern DE calls me every Sunday afternoon.
My niece from Fort Lauderdale was up to visit.
Her husband, who works for the F.B.I., had been given a temporary assignment at F.B.I. headquarters in Washington DC.
They moved up to an apartment, and rented their house in south FL.
So she could easily visit my brother. Washington DC is not far from northern DE.
My niece’s mother, my sister, died almost three years ago. My niece seems to have got over it, attached as they were.
My niece wants me to be chipper and humorous like I was before, but I’m not happy. I’m still brokenhearted.
I feel bad I can’t be the person she expects.
Like my wife died over two-and-a-half years ago. Why am I still brokenhearted?
So obviously an honest answer to the “How ya doin’” question is the wrong answer.
I ended up giving the poor guy an out. “Other than that,” I said; “I guess okay.”

• Victor is a town about 12 miles away. My snowblower is a Honda, and can only be fixed with Honda parts, including tires. Victor Power & Equipment is a Honda-dealer.
• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home