Friday, August 01, 2014

Slammed into utter-darkness yet again

On Wednesday afternoons I eat out with a fellow widower at a restaurant just east of Canandaigua.
It takes me about a half-hour to get there.
I started keying-in a blog about 1:30, but my lights began flickering about 2:30.
A thunderstorm was nearby.
Then the electricity went off.
I could keep typing because this laptop was on internal battery-power.
I have a stand-by generator (pictured), but it waits 30 seconds before kicking on.
The stand-by. (Photo by Bobbalew.)

It kicked on. My electricity was back to this ‘pyooter-center, but the stand-by doesn’t push everything.
Just everything that matters: refrigerator, freezer, garage-door opener, furnace.
But not the air-conditioning, and not my bedroom. At least it’s not supposed to push the air-conditioning, but a couple weeks ago the AC came on during a power-outage that kicked on the stand-by.
This outage took out everything but my landline telephone. It even took out my Internet and e-mail, which it used to do, except my Internet-service-provider put in a stand-by at their switching-station.
When I eat out with that guy I have to leave my dog in my house.
So before I leave I take her for a long walk in case she has to go to the bathroom.
I have to leave by 4:30, but since that storm was approaching I figured I better start walking my dog at 3 instead of 4.
It rained a little, but the storm passed me by.
Yet my stand-by was still wildly roaring.
It was still blasting away when I left at 4:30.
I had to hope my electricity might be back when I returned, so I didn’t have to go to bed with that standby roaring under my window.
When I returned about 6:55, my stand-by was off, and I was back on the grid.
What was most-amazing to me was the backup-battery for my DVR worked as intended. Often it doesn’t. All my DVR records is the news, and it did so.
That was the third outage this summer. The first outage my stand-by wouldn’t crank; dead battery, and it’s a car-battery.
My neighbor and I replaced that battery.

• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her dearly. —My friend’s wife also died of cancer about a year later. They were married 51 years.
• “Canandaigua” (“cannan-DAY-gwuh”) is a small city nearby where I live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” It’s about 14 miles east. —I live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield, southeast of Rochester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home