Friday, July 25, 2014

Falling into a time of inactivity

Yrs Trly has managed to remain fairly active for someone my age (70).
I was walking my dog long walks at a nearby park, and working-out at the YMCA in nearby Canandaigua.
But now I seem to be falling into a period of relative inactivity.
All because my left knee is hurting. It has me hobbling.
I had to give up walking my dog, and pretty-much give up aerobic exercise at the YMCA.
I was referred to an orthopedist, who I visited Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014.
Over a year ago I slammed hard on that knee when I fell on ice walking my dog at the park.
My knee pretty-much recovered, but became a bother again over a month ago.
People were advising left-and-right; ice, cold-pacs, hot-pacs, Ace bandage, etc. I tried ‘em all, but was still hobbling.
I went to my regular doctor, and he prescribed X-rays to see if anything was broken. It wasn’t.
He suggested I see an orthopedist.
I thought this needed a referral, but I could go there myself. We set up an appointment over two weeks ago. That is, at least two weeks passed between my call-up and the actual appointment.
A kindly orthopedist walked in, poked around, and ordered X-rays of his own. My previous X-rays weren’t load-bearing; he needed load-bearing.
He handed me a hospital-gown, since I had taken my pants off.
“So the nurses don’t follow you down the hall.”
“Uh, sure Doc,” I thought to myself. “As if some lithesome young tart is gonna be attracted to someone my age.”
I ain’t Adonis. If anyone’s attracted to me it will be the same thing that attracted my wife, my penchant for humorous snide-remarks that skewer conventionality.
I never was Adonis. I’m not some square-jawed Clark Kent.
I also have noted most girls are turned off by snide remarks, humorous or not.
But my wife wasn’t, and endured 44-plus years of madness because I made humorous snide-remarks.
But now my wife is gone. I no longer am the person I was with her.
But I still make snide-remarks.
I end up wondering why I always elicit the same favorable response from those attracted to humorous snide-remarks.
Which seem to be potshots and snide-remarks in return.
Although thems that respond favorably are a minority.
My wife wasn’t gorgeously cute or attractive.
But she wasn’t fat or obnoxious.
I always told her she had what mattered, which was what was between her ears.
There were a few others like that in my past.
I had a female cousin I could talk to, and I remember a strange-looking girl in college who clearly had what mattered.
She was a good thinker, and showered me with enlightenment.
My wife was like that too, although perhaps not as open about it.
My wife could occasionally say things that were enlightening.
But now she’s gone, and I’m left to my own devices, which appear to be adequate.
Other widows and widowers I know might be more desirous of replacing a marriage-mate.
But not this kid!
“Whatever attracts me,” I say; “has to be as attractive as what I had.”
And I don’t expect that to readily happen.
My wife was in the minority.
I’m not on-the-hunt.
So my orthodontist displayed the X-rays on his computer-monitor.
My right knee looked fine, but my left knee is almost bone-on-bone, even bone-on-bone in some places.
That is, my cushioning cartilage is almost all worn away, or worn away in some places.
The definition of arthritis; I had him define it.
So now I’m shot up with Cortisone, and not in so much pain.
The orthopedist drew off almost a half-cup of fluid swelling.
I also have been prescribed physical-therapy, to supposedly build up muscles around my knee.
And supposedly give me an aerobic option I can do.
But bone-on-bone may lead to knee-replacement. For now we’re seeing if I can get by without it.
My father (long-gone) apparently had a knee replaced, and my sister-in-law (still alive) had a knee replaced.
I don’t remember either.

• My beloved wife died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home