Saturday, June 21, 2014

Good old Mercurochrome

Yrs trly skinned a knuckle yesterday (Friday, June 20th, 2014) mowing lawn.
Nothing serious. No gushing blood.
In fact, I wasn’t aware of it until I finished mowing.
Probably gouged by a forsythia branch. I trim as tight as I can.
So I paddled to my medicine-cabinet, and extracted my 48-year-old bottle of Mercurochrome.
Mercurochrome is an antiseptic from my childhood. It’s painful, but not as bad as tincture-of-iodine. My mother applied it to skinned elbows, knees, etc.
I don’t even know if you can get Mercurochrome any more. I purchased it in 1966 shortly after I came to Rochester.
I purchased it at a corner drug-store at Bull’s Head in Rochester, not far from where I roomed.
That drug-store, Ralph’s, is long-gone.
Bull’s Head (pronounced “Bull-Hyed” by local denizens) is a major intersection in Rochester. The main drag (Main St.) intersects another main street from the south (“Genesee St.;” “Jen-uh-SEE, as in “Jello”) and Brown St. to the northeast.
A building overlooks the intersection, and has a carving of a small bull’s head on a cornice — high above the street.
Just west of Bull’s Head Main St. ends, and forks into a street west (“West Ave.”), and one southwest (“Chili;” pronounced “Cheye-lie,” as in “eye,” not Chile the country or chili the food.)
At least four trolley-lines met at Bull’s Head; now they are bus-lines.
Bull’s Head was the place to wait for a bus.
At least two came up from the south on Genesee St., plus one from Chili and one from West Ave. Chili and West are now combined into one bus-line.
After Bull’s Head all the bus-lines turned east toward city-center on Main St.
Not too long ago my wife, who was still alive then, rummaged that medicine-cabinet looking for things to toss.
“How about this ancient bottle of Mercurochrome?”
“Absolutely not!” I said. “It still works. I use it occasionally.”
I Googled “Mercurochrome” for spelling last night. One of my hits was “What ever happened to Mercurochrome?”
I guess it fell out-of-use, replaced by less painful antiseptics. I think “Neosporin” is one, although Wikipedia says it’s more an antibiotic.
We also have Neosporin, but I used my Mercurochrome anyway.

• “Genesee St.” is named after the “Genesee River,” a fairly large river that runs south-to-north across Western New York, runs through Rochester, including over falls, and empties into Lake Ontario.
• My beloved wife of over 44 years died of cancer April 17th, 2012. I miss her dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home