Friday, December 21, 2012

Ben and Fat-Jerry kaput!

The Ben and Fat-Jerry franchise in nearby Pittsford is kaput!
Ben and Fat-Jerry is Ben and Jerry’s ice-cream. It’s a nickname a coworker at the Canandaigua Messenger newspaper, where I once worked, made for Ben and Jerry’s ice-cream.
The Ben and Jerry franchise in Pittsford is where I purchased the finest chocolate ice-cream in the entire known universe.
I couldn’t get it anywhere else.
Some other chocolate ice-creams come close, but Ben and Fat Jerry is best.
I remember trying various premium chocolate ice-creams.
I don’t eat ice-cream often; perhaps once a week. And then only half a pint at a time.
Ben and Fat Jerry sells all kind of special flavors.
Stuff laced with macadamia nuts, or coffee, or lettuce-leaves (garbage).
They even sell a “chocolate therapy.” It has chocolate pudding in it.
But just plain chocolate is rare; almost impossible to find.
Quite often a store will have plain vanilla, but plain chocolate I never see.
I’d call the Pittsford franchise first. They’d order, but not always get it.
If they had it I’d drive up (a half-hour), and walk out with six pints, 24 smackaroos, $4 per pint.
The poor guy probably couldn’t make the rent.
He was in business six years.
Pittsford village is not exactly high-traffic. Usually I was the only one in his store.
Sometimes I’d see mothers buying ice-cream cones for their children.
That’s not a smashingly big profit.
One mother per half-hour; maybe three cones per mother, a few pennies profit.
He might have done better in a mall.
Of course, maybe I have this wrong. After all, he was open six years.
But I always felt like I was his biggest customer. But even with me he wasn’t making much profit.
So now what?
I only ate ice-cream to offset some spicy entree, chili or pizza or something.
But I preferred Ben and Fat-Jerry. It was best.
I’ll continue to occasionally eat ice-cream, but it’ll be a fall-back, the store premium chocolate or perhaps Häagen-Dazs.
Unless I can find another outlet for Ben and Fat-Jerry, the finest chocolate ice-cream in the entire known universe.
I said that once to the Pittsford franchise proprietor, and he smiled.

• “Pittsford” is a ritzy suburb east of Rochester (NY); it’s on the Erie Canal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home