Wednesday, August 01, 2012

“BEEP!”

Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, July 31, 2012) I was awakened from my nap by what was apparently a weather-alert on my cellphone.
It was 5:24 p.m.
On days I work out at the Canandaigua YMCA I come home so blasted I have to take a nap.
When I do, I put my cellphone out where I can get it without gymnastics.
(Usually it’s in my rear pants-pocket.)
Severe thunderstorms were in the area and approaching.
I managed to walk my dog before it rained, but a dark gray cloud was approaching.
It was thundering as I began my nap.
It down-poured during my nap, with occasional thunder.
All-of-a-sudden, BEEP from my cellphone.
Unfamiliar with weather-alerts, I thought an errant wake-up alarm had sounded.
I checked the alarm-function, getting nowhere.
I then happened to check my SmartPhone’s “Notifications,” and the weather-alert was in there.
I clicked it.
Strong thunderstorms were approaching, with “flash-flooding possible.”
The storms weren’t severe in West Bloomfield, and seemed to have passed.
So much for my nap, but it was 5:24 anyway.
Time to feed the dog.

• I work out in the Canandaigua YMCA Exercise-Gym, appropriately named their “Wellness-Center,” usually two-three days per week, about two-three hours per visit.
• “Canandaigua” (“cannan-DAY-gwuh”) is a small city nearby where I live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” It’s about 14 miles away.
• I have a Motorola Droid-X SmartPhone.
• I live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield, southeast of Rochester.
• My current dog is “Scarlett” (as in “Scarlett O’Hara”) a rescue Irish-Setter. She’s seven, and is our sixth Irish-Setter, a high-energy dog. (A “rescue Irish Setter” is an Irish Setter rescued from a bad home; e.g. abusive or a puppy-mill [Scarlett was from a failed backyard breeder]. By getting a rescue-dog, I avoid puppydom, but the dog is often messed up. —Scarlett isn't bad.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was leaving church in Canandaigua when the sky morphed black and cumulus. The whole atmosphere took on an ominous presence. The car rocked with wind gusts that were blowing objects across the road and causing stop lights to swing. I thought for sure I was witnessing a tornado formation and wondered what in the world I would need to do and where to go to protect myself. But the wind seemed to literally shove the black across the sky to the north. Back home, I later learned we had heavy hail and the winds split my beautiful smoke tree in half. Like a slain soldier, it laid victim on the ground in the front yard.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home