Friday, October 14, 2011

The search for the elusive PAL-radio battery-charger

The other night (Wednesday, October 12, 2011) I successfully ordered a PAL-radio battery-charger, after a long and arduous search of the ether, including Froogle©, about 45 minutes.
Our PAL radios go back about 10 years.
WXXI, the public-radio classical music station out of Rochester we listen to, had been giving them away as fund-drive thank-you gifts.
They aren’t as good as my Boston-Acoustics HD-radio, but nifty enough.
They are very basic and portable. The battery is rechargeable, so they can be disconnected from house-current.
One PAL-radio went dead.
I plugged in the other charger, and suddenly it was alive.
“It’s the charger,”
I said.
So now I had to replace a charger.
First I Froogled “PAL-radio battery-charger,” and got 89 bazilyun sites selling PAL-radios, plus a site selling the rechargeable battery-pack.
Um, not the charger.
I tried another tack; “Tivoli PAL-radio battery-charger.
—Tivoli is the manufacturer of the PAL-radio.
Same 89 bazilyun sites selling PAL-radios, plus the same battery site.
We determined the part-number was D7-10-01, a “plug-in Class 2 transformer.”
I tried both. Again the same sites selling PAL-radios, and the same battery site.
“I tried Amazon; same thing.
“Ain’t the Internet wonderful?” I said. “Sure is saving me time!
Looks like I might hafta hit Radio-Shack, in which case I get something that may not work, that I can’t return because it’s electronics,” I said.
D7-10-01 got me a site that sold a D7-10-01, made in China of course, that looked unlike my charger. Plus the so-called “enlargement” was no bigger than the thumbnail, so I couldn’t tell if it was the correct plug.
Finally I happened to try the “Tivoli Audio” site, noticed “Accessories” and tried that.
There it was, the very same charger that came with my PAL-radios.
Although I have a hard time calling it an accessory when it came as part of the radio.
Tivoli calls it a power-supply.
To stupid me that’s not an accessory.

1 Comments:

Blogger chadpick1 said...

Thanks so much for your battery charger story!!! It saved me so much time.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home