Thursday, August 04, 2011

Science-project

Yesterday (Wednesday, August 3, 2011) I went to Mighty Lowes in nearby Canandaigua, the nationwide big-box hardware and lumber store.
About three months ago I purchased a hyper-expensive light-emitting-diode floodlight to replace a failed halogen flood.
It’s not installed yet. To do so would require our heavy wooden extension-ladder.
Since then, a second halogen flood failed, so I desired to purchase another light-emitting-diode floodlight to replace it.
Our backyard has three floods I turn on when I let our dog out at night.
Since two had already failed, I figured I’d replace all three, partly because they use only 16 watts per bulb instead of 75 watts per bulb.
After considerable search I found the massive display of light-emitting-diode floods.
It was at floor level, and had 89 bazilyun different bulb-types.
I perused the confusing array, and decided I needed help — a lighting-guy.
I had brought along the box my previous light-emitting-diode flood was in.
“I’m trying to match this light,” I said.
The guy helping me was not a lighting-guy.
He was bathroom fixtures.
He dialed up heavy ammunition on his cellphone: the head lighting person.
She appeared; “What are you trying to do, Melvin?”
“This gentleman needs a bulb,” he said.
“Which matches what came in this box,” I added; “which was purchased here.”
“We no longer sell that,” she said. “Technology is moving so fast, we now sell this.”
“Yeah, I looked at all that,” I said; “but it’s rather confusing.
Some are spotlights, and some are floodlights; and some render ‘warm light,’ and some don’t. Some are ‘indoor only.’
I need an outdoor flood that renders un-warm light.”
“That would be this,” the girl said, dragging out a flood.
“But that says ‘warm light’ on the box.
I’ve made that mistake before, with fluorescents.”
We got down on our hands-and-knees to more closely peruse the gigantic floor-level display.
At age-67 it ain’t easy.
I began to get the feeling my helper was no more a lighting-guy than me.
“How about this?” she said.
“But that says ‘spotlight,’ not ‘flood.’
We’re turning this into a high-school science project,” I added.
Minutes had passed already, and we were groveling on the floor.
Here we were reading labels, confusing because they were all different.
I finally picked out an ‘un-warm’ flood; how much time do I wanna waste?
It seemed smaller than what I had.
“Ya sure ya want that one?” the girl said. “It’s smaller and may render less light.”
“Well, all I’m doing is letting my dog out. It ain’t a helipad.
My dog could probably see without the light; use her nose.
All the light is for is so I can see to let her back in.”

• “Canandaigua” (“cannan-DAY-gwuh”) is a small city nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” It’s about 15 miles away. (It has a Lowes.) —We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield, southeast of Rochester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home