Saturday, July 16, 2011

Harley insurance

An ad (illustrated at left) in the August 2011 issue of my Cycle World Magazine finally attracted my attention.
It first appeared in last month’s issue.
Harley-Davidson doing motorcycle insurance?
Harley manufactures motorcycles. Usually when a company branches into something unrelated to what they do, it signifies trouble.
I doubt Harley is in trouble.
People are buying Harleys left and right.
$16,000+ to wait for antediluvian technology.
Other manufacturers make motorcycles more civilized, and much more state-of-the-art.
What Harley is selling is the bad-boy image. Their motorcycles are heavy and vibrate, and can make torrents of noise.
Although usually that is their owners switching to unmuffled exhaust-pipes.
The ad is obviously aimed at the bad-boy image.
The rider is an evil monster, totally unrelated to reality.
A cartoon caricature, of course.
Behind him is an attractive cutie.
How anyone could be drawn to such a monster is beyond me......
I ride motorcycle myself, which is an adventure in self-sufficiency and independence. But I don’t feel I’m trying to be a bad-boy.
A few months ago we happened to be in north Florida the same time as Bike Week in Daytona.
I was surrounded by blatting Harleys — their riders trying to affect the bad-boy image.
Which I guess means pigging out, among other things.
I happened to patronize a restaurant offering a “Biker Breakfast Special.”
It included steak, sausage, bacon and eggs.
We renamed it “The Cholesterol Special.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home