Thursday, July 14, 2011

Organize Bookmarks

chiprint: “Firefox 4 has no ‘Organize Bookmarks’ option.......”
Tony E: “In Firefox 4, ‘Organize Bookmarks’ has been renamed to ‘Show All Bookmarks.’ It brings up the same Bookmarks Library.”
katmandan: “Why did they do a dumb thing like that? Go figure.”
the-edmeister: “Quite honestly, ‘Organize Bookmarks’ was a misleading title. ... In my opinion, the name for that menu item was wrong in 3.0, 3.5, & 3.6 — now the title is more correct (“Show all bookmarks......”).
areynoldsnz: “How on earth can ‘Organize Bookmarks’ be misleading, when that is the main reason anyone clicked on that button? If I wanted to ‘organize’ my bookmarks, I chose ‘Organize Bookmarks,’ went in there and organized them and then closed the window. How can ‘Show All Bookmarks’ be more correct?
If you think ‘Show all Bookmarks’ is more correct, then what is the purpose of showing all the bookmarks? What do you do once you can see them? Scroll through and check out what bookmarks you have? The main reason to go in there is to organize your bookmarks!
‘Show All Bookmarks’ is just simply dumb. Why don’t they change ‘Options’ to ‘Show lots of stuff?’ That would be just as meaningless and unhelpful.”
Firefox, my Internet-browser, has apparently vaporized their “Organize Bookmarks” function, or more precisely they renamed it.
Thursday, July 14, 2011, I fired up two Internet sites for tires for our 2005 Toyota Sienna van.
I wanted to save the two bookmarks for later reference. I wanted to create a sub-folder in my toolbar folder, and put the two bookmarks in it.
I fired up the bookmarks menu, but no “Organize Bookmarks.......”
I looked all over — it was there earlier; most of my bookmarks were organized, and still are.
All my sub-folders still existed, but no “Organize Bookmarks.”
My two tire sites were stand alone.
NOW WHAT! Or more accurately: What to do......
I shut off and took a nap, during which I remembered the one cogent fact about computing: that if I’m having this problem, someone else already has.
I fired up Google and cranked "Organize Bookmarks" into the search-window.
"Organize Bookmarks under Firefox-4."
I clicked that and got the fevered discussion above.
The-edmeister, probably a Firefox techie, was on the defensive; trying to justify his company’s position.
There was a “reply” button, and I tried it.
“You must log in to reply......”
Nothing new.
My reply woulda been BALONEY!
I get madness like this all the time, and Firefox is updating about every two weeks.
A while ago they wanted me to change to Firefox-4, and I refused. Then they slipped me a fast one; Firefox-4 as an upgrade.
Not that I care; it seemed all right (and was free).
My bookmarks are now all organized as intended, or is it “shown?”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home