Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal wedding

Associated Press.
Yrs trly got up at 4:25 a.m. this morning (Friday, April 29, 2011) to go the bathroom.
“25 minutes into ABC’s coverage of the Royal Wedding,” I said, as I got back into bed.
Which begs the question: did you set your alarm to 4 a.m. to view the Royal Wedding?
We didn’t.
“I’m sure there will be plenty of Royal-Wedding coverage on tomorrow’s news,” my wife commented last night.
Better than the talking-heads droning about passage of all the Queen’s horses, and all the Queen’s men.
“And there goes the new princess, waving at all her subjects from the golden carriage.”
A glittering Cinderella story, yes indeedy.
Boring to me.
And every time I see a marriage, I think what’s in store for these two people. Do they have any idea?
Everyone smiling at a bright future.
Can British royalty last? Is Queeny the last monarch?
Rule by monarchy seems to have been replaced in England by noisy posturing in the House of Commons.
That goes clear back to the Magna Carta, agreed to in 1215 by King John.
And no English monarch has been named John since.
And who knows what other travails might beset this happy couple?
Prince William might have a heart-attack, and Princess Kate might develop cancer.
43 years ago we had no idea I’d have a stroke, or that my wife would get cancer.
I wish the couple well.
From my male vantage-point Kate looks interesting.
And it looks like the two actually like each other, that marriage wasn’t forced on them by circumstance.
Kate has taken on incredible responsibility — to become royalty.
But even that isn’t worth getting up at 4 a.m. to be bored silly by talking-heads.
Years ago President Kennedy was assassinated while I was in college.
Classmates drove to Washington D.C. to view the funeral procession and history.
Free of talking-heads.

• I had a stroke October 26, 1993.
• My wife has cancer, but supposedly it’s not a death-sentence. It’s treatable. Actually, she has two cancers: -a) Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and -b) metastatic breast-cancer. The Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma appeared about three years ago as a hard tumor in her abdomen. That was poofed with chemotherapy. —The metastatic breast-cancer did not have a primary site; it never appeared in her breasts. It was first noticed in her bones, where breast-cancer metastasizes. We knocked that back with Femara®, the trade-name for Letrozole. Femara is an estrogen inhibitor. Her breast-cancer was estrogen-positive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home