Thursday, December 30, 2010

Another Facebook fast-one

Last night (Wednesday, December 29, 2010) the ABC national TV news was trumpeting the sudden triumph of Facebook.
As one of the significant things that occurred in 2010.
Ugh!
Clips were shown of Diane Sawyer interviewing cherubic Facebook founder bubbly Mark Zuckerberg (at left), recounting that Facebook now had 500 million members.
Well, consider me a disgruntled member of those 500 million. Facebook has locked my machine, and every time I fire it up, which isn’t often (too risky), something is different.
Not to mention all those silly ads to the right, to find who’s looking for you (always a voluptuous tart), or aimed at my interests, in my case railroading.
More exasperating are all the ads for reverse mortgages, and Medicare-Advantage plans, supposedly of interest to someone my age.
More ridiculous are all the ads that post photos I once posted to blogs, like the mere screenshot above.
I never click any of them. I ain’t havin’ some hacker steal my information.
I used to post Facebook links to these here blogs, but stopped when those links no longer worked.
I had a question I wanted to ask an old friend, and figured it made more sense to post to her Facebook than e-mail.
She’s more likely to look at her Facebook.
So I fired up Facebook; first time in about two weeks.
My friend had “updated” to Facebook’s “new profile” page; so did I want to?
The implication, I thought (stupid me), was do I wanna look at my friend’s new Facebook.
Well, I guess I have to.
BOOM; suddenly my own Facebook is “updated” to Facebook’s “new profile” page.
A Facebook fast-one; not the first time.
The fact I even have a Facebook at all is a result of a Facebook fast-one.
I got an e-mail from Facebook suggesting my old friend wanted to “friend” me.
Okay, click!
BOOM;
welcome to Facebook.
Suddenly I had a Facebook of my own; not particularly wanted, but I couldn’t see a plug to pull.
Far be it Facebook supply an exit; they might not have 500 million members.
I perused my new Facebook profile. It had me living in Bloomfield, and originally from West Bloomfield.
Well, that is all wrong.
I live in West Bloomfield, and am originally from south Jersey.
Their incorrect answers were responses to queries which Facebook has since screwed up.
I see an “edit profile” button, so I click that.
Residence questions are presented, so I overwrite “West Bloomfield” to “Erlton, NJ.”
“Save changes.”
BOOM; the origin question went blank.
“View profile.”
“Add origin location” is a link.
I click it, crank in “Erlton, NJ,” but “save changes” is dead; grayed out.
I try again. Still dead.
Well, I ain’t interested in tryin’ to drive around all your glitches, Facebook, so I guess the error stands.
Sorry cherub-boy; every time you “improve” something, ya make things worse. I shut off and went to bed.

• RE: “In my case railroading......” —I am a railfan, and have been since I was a child.
• We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western NY, southeast of Rochester. Adjacent is the rural town of East Bloomfield, and the village of Bloomfield is within it.
• “Erlton” (‘EARL-tin’) is the small suburb of Philadelphia in south Jersey where I lived until I was 13. Erlton was founded in the ‘30s, named after its developer, whose name was Earl. Erlton was north of Haddonfield, an old Revolutionary town.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home