Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Bolero!

We rolled out of bed at 6:54 this morning (Tuesday, November 9, 2010).
I went into our bathroom, turned on the light, and then reached back to turn on our HD radio.
(Cue anti HD radio crowd; the people that have their computers set up to snag every mention of HD radio on the Internet, so they can loudly badmouth it.
I bet I get a response.
I guess I’m supposed to be paying for satellite radio, wherein what I hear is not local.)
Our radio is tuned to Dubya-Hex-Hex-Hi, the public-radio classical-music FM radio-station out of Rochester we listen to.
Their morning announcer is Brenda Tremblay (“TROM-blay;” as in “trombone”), a really nice person who graduated the same college I graduated from, Houghton College (“HO-tin;” as in “oh,” not “how” or “who”), although much later.
I am Class of ’66; she is Class of ’90.
“Bomp-Bomp-Bomp; Bomp-Bomp-Bomp......... Dyaaaaa-Dyada-Dyada-Dee, Da-Da-Deee. Bomp-Bomp-Bomp!
“UGH!” I said.
They’re playing Bolero.
Visions of Bo Derek being sex-crazed in the ‘80s.
I wonder what she looks like now at almost age 54.
Does she still have her trademark pigtails?
Reportedly composer Maurice Ravel (“rah-VELL”) was miffed by the fame of Bolero; he felt it was the worst piece he ever composed.
Ravel wrote a lot better stuff, e.g. his “Song of Sirens” from “Daphnis et Chloé.”
I have that in my record collection, but not Bolero.
“Bomp-Blat-Blat; Bomp-Blat-Blat! Dyaaaa-da-da-Bomp!”
Thank goodness it’s finally over.
Time for the news.
I had almost turned off the radio.

• “We/our” is me and my wife of almost 43 years, “Linda.”
• “Dubya-Hex-Hex-Hi” is WXXI.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home