Thursday, August 12, 2010

WE SHALL SEE!

“You’re gonna like this stuff,” said the bubbly check-out girl at the Canandaigua Wegmans, after scanning a pint of Wegmans Premium Organic Dark-Chocolate ice-cream I had bought.
“My boyfriend got this, was gonna just taste it, but ended up eating the whole thing.”
WE SHALL SEE,” I said. “It’s competing with Ben & Fat Jerry.”
“Did you find everything you were looking for?”
“Not Ben & Jerry’s chocolate ice-cream,” I said. “You never have it.”
“Well, maybe we should look into it,” she said. “I don’t want you to leave our store unhappy.”
She was young enough to be my granddaughter.
I hope she can maintain her enthusiasm.
She finished my order. I paid, but then the poor girl was at loose ends.
There I was, a customer she wanted to please, yet more customers were standing in line behind me.
“Ask at the Service-Desk,” she said.
Fear-and-loathing; the old stroke-effect speech hesitation kicked in.
“Can I help you?” a callow youth asked.
“Ben & Jerry’s chocolate ice-cream,” I said.
“Right over there in Frozen,” he said, pointing.
“You never have it,” I said. “Haven’t for some time.
“Well, let’s see if we do,” he said.
“Frozen call Service-Desk,” he barked on the storewide all-call.
Minutes passed. Nothing.
“Let’s see if it’s in our online inventory.”
He began fiddling a computer terminal; “Ben & Jerry, Ben & Jerry, Ben & Jerry.
Ah, there it is. Actually we discontinued that some time ago. Not enough sales.”
“Right,” I said. “Now it’s all garbage flavors; Sauerkraut Supreme, Rotting Lettuce, Dublin Mudslide......”
Guess what Bubbles, I’m leaving your store unhappy.
Although not that much.
Wegmans hasn’t had it for eons.
But I can’t get it anywhere else.
I have this dreadful feeling Ben and Jerry discontinued it, and Ben & Fat Jerry’s is the best chocolate ice-cream in the entire known universe.

• “Wegmans” a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester we often buy groceries at. They have a store in Canandaigua. (“Canandaigua” [“cannon-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city to the east nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” —It’s about 15 miles away.)
• RE: “Did you find everything you were looking for?” —Wegmans coaches their check-out people to ask this.
• I had a stroke October 26, 1993, and it slightly compromised my speech. (Difficulty putting words together.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home