Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The beat goes on

A frenzied search has been on to find Ben & Fat Jerry’s chocolate ice-cream or its equivalent.
This is because Ben & Fat Jerry chocolate ice-cream is the best chocolate ice-cream in the entire known universe.
I’ve used Ben & Jerry’s computer flavor locater, and it tells me Tops, including the Tops in Canandaigua.
But they don’t have it, nor do any other Tops in the Rochester area.
Lots of other garbage-filled flavors, e.g. sauerkraut supreme, and Dublin Mudslide.
And ice-cream fortified with lettuce.
Why has Ben & Fat Jerry’s chocolate ice-cream become so difficult?
You’d think they could sell plain chocolate ice-cream — they claim they still do.
So I patronize groceries far-and-wide, in search of the best chocolate ice-cream in the universe.
Usually these forays are attached to other errands.
Involved is my sister-in-law in Florida, partly because she knows Ben & Fat Jerry is the best, and she also knows it’s hard for me to pursue people as a stroke-survivor.
—Slightly addled speech.
I can usually get by, but I avoid talking to anyone lest my speech muck up.
It was her that called Ben & Fat Jerry corporate offices.
She also called the Canandaigua Tops, from Florida mind you, and talked to their “frozen-dairy” manager.
She was told Ben & Fat Jerry chocolate was not in the warehouse, that Canandaigua Tops couldn’t get it.
So, what to do?
What makes Ben & Fat Jerry chocolate ice-cream so superior?
We decided it’s partially the amount of chocolate.
And also that it’s not blown full of air.
I tried Breyer’s chocolate ice-cream with 33% more Dutch cocoa.
Nice, but too airy.
It was so airy I’d have to purchase three pints to equal two of Ben & Fat Jerry.
I’ve tried two other brands; Perry’s, and one I won’t name because it tastes like Double-Bubble.
Both were too thin on the chocolate.
My sister-in-law in Florida suggested another, but it means a long journey to a Target out on Chili Ave.
Plus it has tiny chips of chocolate in it.
Why that?
Can’t I have just plain chocolate ice-cream?
I gotta drag all the way out there, for something I may not like?
Lade-lade-DEEE; lade-lade-DAAAH. Bom-bom-bom-bom-bomp-ba-bom-bom-bom-bom..... the beat goes on...... the beat goes on........

• “Tops” is a large supermarket-chain based in Buffalo we occasionally buy groceries at. They have a store in Canandaigua. “Canandaigua” (“cannon-DAY-gwuh”) is a small city to the east nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” It’s about 15 miles away. —We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western NY, southeast of Rochester.)
• I had a stroke October 26, 1993, and it slightly compromised my speech. (Difficulty putting words together.)
• “We” is me and my wife of 42+ years, “Linda.”
• “ Perry’s ” is an independent ice-cream maker local to the Rochester area. It isn’t available in every supermarket.
• “Chili Ave.” (“chie-lie”) is a main drag far west of where we live. That Target is about 30-35 miles away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home