Monday, July 26, 2010

Support Classica L Music

We have an HD radio in our bedroom.
It’s tuned to WXXI-FM, the public-radio station out of Rochester, NY we listen to.
WXXI plays mainly classical music, about all we can stand.
Just about every other radio station out of Rochester is blasting ear-splitting pop, which I can’t stand.
Or worse yet, rap.
BOOM-CHICKA-BOOM-CHICKA-BOOM-CHICKA-BOOM-CHICKA!
One afternoon I pulled up to a traffic-light on Hylan Drive.
All-of-a-sudden the whole back end of our car started bouncing.
BA-BOOM, BA-BOOM, BA-BOOM, BA-BOOM!
My follower was playing Em-N-Em, at full volume, on a megawatt sound system that filled the entire back end of his car.
I also can’t stand country; TWANG!
Motorcycles pass our house loudly serenading the surrounding countryside.
And as they pass the pitch drops with the Doppler effect.
“If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all;” TWA-ONG!
And then there’s talk-radio; Duh Weeze talking dirty, or Bob Lonsberry loudly claiming the whole thing wrong with our country is liberals.
That and Rush Limbaugh in his latest OxyContin® rant.
We’ve listened to WXXI for years.
There are things we don’t listen to.
E.g. The Saturday afternoon opera; mega-pound Brunhilde bellowing at the top of her lungs.
Also, “Hearts of Space.” Supposedly New Age music that bores as well as grates.
A few years ago, WXXI went to HD radio.
I Googled around some, and found a Boston Acoustics table-set I purchased.
It sounds pretty good, except I had to put up an antenna.
Apparently this is often the case, although I’m also a ways from WXXI’s transmitter.
Perhaps 18-20 miles.
It was WXXI’s Simon Pontin that suggested I put up the antenna.
Pontin has since retired, taking with him his wry and gentle humor. —And his vast knowledge of classical music, and what listeners like us preferred.
I turn on WXXI every morning, Brenda Tremblay (“TROM-blay”), the announcer that replaced Pontin.
I went into our bedroom to turn off the radio, and noticed its display was scrolling some message.
“Support (pause), Classica (pause), L Music”
We already do.
That chopped-up message is gonna get us to fork over more?

• We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western NY, about 20 miles southeast of Rochester.
• “Hylan Drive” is a main drag southeast of and near Rochester.
• “Duh Weeze” (“The Wease”) is a local radio potty-mouth morning-man; “Bob Lonsberry” a local Conservative talk-radio host.
• “Simon Pontin” was WXXI’s morning-man, replaced by “Brenda Tremblay.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home