Friday, August 27, 2010

So much for Strong Hospital and their vaunted hot-spot

The other day (Thursday, August 26, 2010) we had a medical appointment at Strong Hospital.
Strong is a hot-spot, so I took along this here Apple MacBook Pro laptop.
Okay, fire up as soon as we get there.
No hospital network query.
Okay, same as at Tunnel Inn in Gallitzin (“guh-LIT-zin”), PA, also a hot-spot.
Tunnel Inn is the bed-and-breakfast we stay at in the Altoona area, location of Horseshoe Curve, by far the BEST railfan spot I have ever been to.
Fire up Internet, FireFox.
“There they all are,” I say. All my Internet-tabs appeared. I was getting Internet. (Ain’t technology wonderful?)
Okay, set about keying in stuff, some of which includes links and web addresses.
To do so, I hafta have Internet; that’s how I get the addresses.
I go to my PhotoBucket tab to get a picture address.
I get the address, but only about one-fifth of the picture is displaying.
I hit my Google search tab; Google basic search.
Text, but no art.
The famous Google moniker is not displaying.
I paste something in.
Hits, but nothing happens when clicked.
I try my e-mail, through RoadRunner’s web-mail.
Three e-mails; I click one, and there it is.
I click back to new e-mails (those remaining unread), and nothing happens.
We seem stuck at the e-mail I first opened.
“How do I get outta this? I don’t wanna delete.”
I try “junk,” and that displays.
Back to new e-mails, and there they are.
I try my family’s web-site tab, and see my sister in Fort Lauderdale has responded to my recent post.
I click her response: nothing.
Back to Google, an image-search.
Still no moniker.
I type in the search, and again nothing.
“Well, I don’t have all day,” I say.
Wait long enough, and things eventually happen.
“Guess I’ll just key in what I already wrote.”
After that I shut off my machine and read magazines.
So much for Strong and their vaunted hot-spot.
I’ll Internet back home.

• “Strong Hospital” is a large hospital in Rochester’s south.
• “Hot-spot” equals wireless Internet.
• “PhotoBucket” is a place I store image-files of pictures; displayed by a web-address.
• “RoadRunner” (Time Warner) is our Internet Service Provider (ISP) via cable. My e-mail is also via RoadRunner.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home