Saturday, August 21, 2010

Not United Parcel Service

We have purchased a U.P.S. (pictured at left).
That’s Uninterrupted-Power-Source, not United Parcel Service, as we thought at first.
I got sick-and-tired of fully reprogramming our video-recorder (DVR) every time the electricity went.
We have a stand-by generator (pictured below), but it delays 20 seconds before kicking on.
Which is just long enough for our video-recorder to lose all its settings.
Including its clock.
Not that I minded that much.
Fully reprogramming was about 15 minutes, a process I did two or three times last summer.
This summer every thunderstorm has knocked out the electricity; often for only a second or two.
Which is just long enough to lunch the video-recorder.

So far, about eight-nine times this summer.
This computer is not on battery backup yet.
I don’t feel it needs to be.
It’s a laptop, and can be battery powered.
What irks me is the nearby RoadRunner substation also loses electricity during a thunderstorm.
It seems that RoadRunner substation doesn’t have a stand-by generator.
So when the substation gets zapped, I lose my Internet.
I’m thinking of switching to cellphone Internet for that reason.
The cell-towers seem to have stand-by generators.

• “We” is me and my wife of 42+ years, “Linda.”
• “RoadRunner” (of Rochester) is my Internet-Service-Provider, by cable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home