Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Granny alert

I’m at the intersection of Cooley Road and County Road 30, on Cooley, returning home from the YMCA and Mighty Weggers in Canandaigua.
I’ve never liked this intersection. It’s semi-blind in both directions.
From the west, County Road 30 crests a hill maybe 150 yards from the intersection.
You can enter the intersection just before someone crests that hill.
From the east, County Road 30 is coming around a curve you can’t see around from Cooley.
Another case of pulling in front of someone.
Of course, this makes no difference to most drivers.
Just charge into the intersection, and make County Road 30 drivers tap the brake.
But to a retired Regional Transit bus-driver, who tries to avoid cutting people off, it’s dangerous.
I’m also trying to avoid scaring other drivers — they may do something stupid.
I start into the intersection, and as soon as I do, a gray GMC Acadia appears on the curve to the east, driven at breakneck speed by Granny.
I accelerate hard, trying to pull clear; 20, 30, 40, 50, then 60 mph.
No matter, Granny is quickly on my rear bumper, glowering at me in her best Dale Earnhardt imitation.
Good old Cooley Road and County Road 30.
If I’d-a known she was coming, I woulda let her pass.
We retired bus-drivers try to avoid difficult driving situations.
Others get incensed by how much slack we cut.
“You coulda pulled in front of that guy. He was 300 yards away!”
“Yeah; and scare the daylights out if him.
There’s no one behind. I can wait 10 seconds.”
“If I drove like you, I’d never be first at the coffee machine.
I might miss out on the free donuts.”
We proceeded west on County Road 30, Granny angrily pounding her steering-wheel.
I turn north on Brace Road.
I hafta slow for it. I can’t make the corner at 89 bazilyun miles-per-hour.
Signal on, I slow for the intersection, and Granny charges past in the passing-lane, Acadia floored, blowing her horn.
I wasn’t able to see if she was giving me the finger.
I had to concentrate on the turn.
I wonder if this was the same Granny that almost ran me down in the Tops pedestrian crossing.

• “Cooley Road,” “County Road 30,” and “Brace Road” are part of a semi-circuitous route I take to avoid a speed-trap on 5&20 in the nearby village of Bloomfield. (“5&20” is the main east-west road [a two-lane highway] through our area; State Route 5 and U.S. Route 20, both on the same road. 5&20 is just south of where we live. We live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western NY, southeast of Rochester. Adjacent is the rural town of East Bloomfield, and the village of Bloomfield is within it.)
• I work out in the Canandaigua YMCA exercise-gym. (“Canandaigua” [“cannon-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city to the east nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” It’s about 15 miles away.)
• “Mighty Weggers” is Wegmans, a large supermarket-chain based in Rochester we often buy groceries at. They have a store in Canandaigua.
• For 16&1/2 years (1977-1993) I drove transit bus for Regional Transit Service, the public transit-bus operator in Rochester, NY.
• “Dale Earnhardt,” deceased, was the so-called “intimidator” of NASCAR fame, who used to tailgate race-leaders and bump them at speed until they let him pass.
• “Tops” is a large supermarket-chain based in Buffalo we occasionally buy groceries at. They also have a store in Canandaigua. They have a pedestrian crossing lane from their store into their parking-lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home