Wednesday, April 28, 2010

All over Creation......

Yesterday (Tuesday, April 27, 2010) was errand overload.
I had three errands, all many miles apart, so that my entire sojourn was about 60 miles, more than three gallons of gas at 19 miles-per-gallon.
First was good old Hahn Graphic (“hahn”) in Rochester, to pick up my fabulous Nikon D100 digital camera, which had been left there months ago for service.
Hahn Graphic is probably the premier supplier of photographic equipment in the Rochester area.
Second was Funky-Food-Market in deepest, darkest Henrietta to pick up a case of puffed-corn cereal I had ordered.
Third was OfficeMax across from Eastview Mall, to get a sale-price on two 500-gig stand-alone supplemental hard-drives we had just purchased.
Hahn goes back eons, clear to 1969.
It was where I purchased my first Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic 35mm SLR camera.
It also was where I purchased many lenses.
The Spotmatic served me over 40 years, although I was no longer using its metering function.
I kept using it until Nikon made its D100 available.
I bought one at Hahn, thereby retiring the Spotmatic.
Many of my pictures in this blog were taken with the D100.
When I first went to Hahn they were on Driving Park, affiliated with Hahn Automotive next door.
Hahn was apparently sold, and they moved to an old city firehouse on Dewey Ave.
Not far from Aquinas.
It's no longer the original owners, or the guy who sold me the Spotmatic.
“So what if I wanna upgrade?” I asked. “Trade my D100 for Nikon's latest model?”
The salesman took a D300 out of the showcase.
“Here, try it,” he said.
I looked at it. “Zippity-do,” I said. “Looks like a get a bigger image-display, but that appears to be all I get.”
“It's higher megapixel too,” he added.
“But for what I do, my D100 seems to be enough,” I said. “I ain't a pro.
I'm using Photoshop Elements 4.0,” I said. “I'm sure more recent PEs are available.”
“I'm sure there are,” the salesman said. “But if 4.0 is adequate, I wouldn't upgrade.
I use Photoshop 6.0. More recent upgrades are available, but I'm doing fine with 6.0, so I'm not upgrading.”
Next was Lori's, almost a half-hour trip from Hahn. Hahn was over an hour from our house.
It's Arrowhead Mills Puffed-Corn cereal; 12 six-ounce plastic bags per case.
I get it because it's just puffed corn; no added salt or sugar.
Once you stop using salt, you notice if stuff has salt in it.
It's bitter.
It's why we never eat out. Restaurant food is often bitter; too salty.
I tried getting a case of Arrowhead Mills Puffed-Corn cereal from Amazon.
They wanted less per case than Lori's, but a fortune for shipping.
It ended up costing more per bag.
Back to Lori's.
There are other online suppliers of Arrowhead Mills Puffed-Corn cereal, but not right now. That's future research. A 50¢ savings is not worth it if I hafta hit Lori's anyway.
My last stop was OfficeMax; another half-hour journey.
Back on the expressway, and out 490.
I was immediately pounced on by a sales associate as I walked in the store.
“What's wrong?” she asked.
“Oh nothing,” I said. “The price we paid for these things was this.” I showed her my receipt.
“Your news circular had 'em for way less.” I showed her the news circular.
“We were told if we brought in the boxes, receipt, and news circular, we could get 'em for the lower price.”
“That's an adjustment,” she said. “But ya didn't need to bring in the boxes.”
“Your clerk said they needed the boxes,” I said.
“And who was that?” she asked.
“No idea,” I said.
“Your receipt is all you need.”
She directed me toward a checkout clerk.....
….who scanned my boxes.

• The “Funky-Food-Market” is Lori's Natural Foods.
• “Deepest, darkest Henrietta” is a rather effusive and obnoxious suburb south of Rochester.
• “Eastview Mall” is a large shopping-mall southeast of Rochester.
• “SLR” is single-lens-reflex. At that time ('60s) most cameras were twin-lens-reflex — separate lenses for both the camera and the viewfinder. A twin-lens-reflex causes parallax error, the camera sees different than what the viewfinder sees. The photographer has to aim for what the camera will see. —In single-lens-reflex the viewfinder and camera both use the same lens; a flop-up mirror is interposed to direct the image into the viewfinder. The mirror flops up to expose the film, which is what you hear when an SLR shoots. SLRs were revolutionary when introduced, but now nearly all cameras are SLR.
• The “Spotmatic” had an integral light-meter, but it could be tricked.
• “Driving Park” is a fairly large west/east street in northwest Rochester. “Dewey Ave.” is a main north/south drag in northwest Rochester. Driving Park crosses it, so Hahn didn't move far. “Aquinas” is a Catholic high-school on Dewey.
• RE: “Higher megapixel.....” —The sensitivity of a digital camera's image-recorder is measured in megapixels. A D100 appears to be 6.3 megapixels; a D300 is 12.3. It can resolve tighter. (To me, a D100 is good enough.)
• We (me and my wife of 42+ years, “Linda”) live in the small rural town of West Bloomfield in Western NY, southeast of Rochester.
Amazon.com, an online Internet seller.
• Interstate-490 is the interstate southeast out of Rochester to the Thruway; Interstate-90 from Albany to Buffalo and west. The Thruway doesn't go through Rochester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home