Thursday, April 22, 2010

Get outta here with that nav system

The other day (probably Friday, April 16, 2010) I was in the Mens Locker-Room at the Canandaigua YMCA.
Two youngish dudes swaggered in, probably in their late 20s or early 30s.
“So whadya think of that car I soldja?” one asked the other.
“Well, actually I haven't driven it much,” the other answered. “I got it for the wife.”
“I really gotta give you the manual for that thing,” the first dude said.
“I still have it in the house somewhere. With it you can make sense of the navigation system.”
“Well, I fiddled with it some.”
At this point I was tempted to say, but didn't, “when I drive I use a map.” I don't want some navigation system yelling “Hey, where ya goin'?” while I try to avoid Granny.
Or harumphing because I didn't take the road past the bank.
“I'm not from here,” I'd say. “I have no idea what 'the bank' is.......”
“That was the bank Pa and I always used. Where ya goin'?”
And “that's the road to Orange City.”
“Are we supposed to go that way?”
“No! Right, right, RIGHT! Harumph!”
Actually, “map” is not precise.
What I do is Google a destination, and then print all the pertinent Google maps.
A sterling example of this is a trip to Buffalo years ago to a vet.
I printed out what the vet office looked like, from their web-site, and Google Street-Views.
The vet was in Orchard Park, so I printed all the pertinent junctions from the Thruway.
Finding it was a slam-dunk.
I had figured it all out in advance, so could avoid the madding semis.
And people distracted by navigation systems.

• I work out in the Canandaigua YMCA exercise-gym. (“Canandaigua” [“cannon-DAY-gwuh”] is a small city to the east nearby where we live in Western NY. The city is also within a rural town called “Canandaigua.” The name is Indian, and means “Chosen Spot.” —It’s about 15 miles away.)
• “Orchard Park” is a suburb of Buffalo.
• The “Thruway” is the NY State Thruway, Interstate-90 to Albany, and then Interstate-87 down to New York City — a toll road. It skirts Buffalo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home