Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Toto has done it again

Photo by BobbaLew.
“Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas any more.”
Good old Toto has done it again.
“Toto” is our supposedly fantabulous Toto lo-flo toilet, which was installed to replace a toilet 20 years old partially blocked by salt-deposits.
Okay, it's a lo-flo toilet, so occasionally it won't compute.
I hafta double-flush it, which negates the lo-flo, but as a lo-flo toilet it's impressive.
It flows like Niagara Falls for a short time; but too short to fully flush sometimes.
That short torrent is usually enough to make it compute, but I can't chance it.
Goodbye water conservation.
Beyond that, it occasionally won't shut off.
Sometimes the flapper-valve doesn't seal, and Toto fills forever.
So, combine plugging with not shutting off, and we have a deluge all over our bathroom floor.
My wife and I are both 66; we won't be able to mop up such catastrophes forever.
“At least it's clean water,” she says; overflow from not shutting off.
But not potable, except to our dog.
“You think I should call the plumber?” she asked; the guys who installed it.
“Well, I guess so,” I said.
Toto has really done it this this time.
We have to watch it like hawks; monitor each flush, and make sure it shuts off.
Our supposedly reprehensible American-Standard, 20 years old, doesn't need such monitoring.

• My wife of 42+ years is “Linda.”
• Our current dog is “Scarlett;” a rescue Irish-Setter. She’s almost five, and is our sixth Irish-Setter. (A “rescue Irish Setter” is an Irish Setter rescued from a bad home; e.g. a puppy-mill. By getting a rescue-dog, we avoid puppydom, but the dog is often messed up.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home