Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not a bun

At long last, after at least nine months of threatening to do so, my wife has an appointment with a hairdresser.
The delay was because our long-time hairdresser disappeared.
His wife died, leaving him with all the things she had done to keep up his beauty-shop.
Beyond that, he was getting old, and his hands were getting arthritic and painful.
I stopped getting permanents to give him a break.
He remarried and split, and put his shop up for sale.
A stylist who worked part-time in his shop was lassoed into cutting my hair.
He seemed okay, but my wife was afraid of going to him.
So the schtick in her case was to find a new hairdresser.
First she was considering some guy in Bloomfield, recommended by her boss.
But that never panned out.
Consideration of this guy went on for months.
She began to look like Prince Valiant.
The other day a publication came from the Honeoye Falls Chamber of Commerce.
All businesses in Honeoye Falls were listed therein by duty.
She looked at hairdressers.
One was the hairdresser for elderly ladies at a nearby retirement center.
“Our most popular hairstyle is the bun. You might wanna consider that.”
I myself have difficulty making phonecalls because of my stroke, but my wife couldn't get up the nerve to call a hairdresser.
She looked more and more like Prince Valiant.
Chop it herself, and she gets the Prince Valiant look.
So finally she called someone other than the hairdresser for the elderly ladies.
“Just a cut,” she said.
We'll see what happens.

• My wife of 42+ years is “Linda.” Like me she’s retired, and she retired as a computer programmer.
• “Prince Valiant” is a cartoon character with a page-boy haircut. (Most readers wouldn't know who Buster Brown is.)
• “Honeoye (‘HONE-eee-oy’) Falls” is the nearest village to the west to where we live in western New York, a rural village about five miles away. ”Bloomfield” is the nearest village to the east; also about five miles away.
• I had a stroke October 26, 1993, and it slightly compromised my speech. (Difficulty putting words together.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home